Sterling Gray 1500

I may not have posted about it...
I was leaving for a 2000 mile trip on Fathers Day to Florida, I was about 120 miles from home when there was a loud bang, I seriously thought I ran over a huge pothole in the road, but nope. As it turned out the valve body failed, the trans lost hydraulic pressure because of it, and the trans went into limp mode. What that means is the trans went to 5th gear and unlocked the torque converter, and there she stayed. I was probably somewhere between 7th and 9th gear when it happened so the engine RPM's were not fast enough to mesh with the road speed of probably 55 or so MPH, so it banged when the rear end slowed down suddenly due to the lower gear. This is likely similar to the Ford issue with the 10 speed, but in the case of Ford the trans goes into 1st gear, at any speed at all that will probably mean parts in the road, they have recalled over 550,000 trucks for the issue just recently. I am very thankful that GM decided to make limp mode 5th instead of 1st, or this would have been a different story. While my dealership feels confident no real damage was done, they will be doing a deep eval on the trans when they remove the pan to replace the valve body to be sure. In all likelihood I will be asking GM to warranty the drive train for life due to the nature of the incident. Fingers crossed.

I may not have posted about it...
I was leaving for a 2000 mile trip on Fathers Day to Florida, I was about 120 miles from home when there was a loud bang, I seriously thought I ran over a huge pothole in the road, but nope. As it turned out the valve body failed, the trans lost hydraulic pressure because of it, and the trans went into limp mode. What that means is the trans went to 5th gear and unlocked the torque converter, and there she stayed. I was probably somewhere between 7th and 9th gear when it happened so the engine RPM's were not fast enough to mesh with the road speed of probably 55 or so MPH, so it banged when the rear end slowed down suddenly due to the lower gear. This is likely similar to the Ford issue with the 10 speed, but in the case of Ford the trans goes into 1st gear, at any speed at all that will probably mean parts in the road, they have recalled over 550,000 trucks for the issue just recently. I am very thankful that GM decided to make limp mode 5th instead of 1st, or this would have been a different story. While my dealership feels confident no real damage was done, they will be doing a deep eval on the trans when they remove the pan to replace the valve body to be sure. In all likelihood I will be asking GM to warranty the drive train for life due to the nature of the incident. Fingers crossed.
Wow! That sucks brother.

Wow! That sucks brother.
Yeah, it really does, but getting mad about it won't change anything, best to let GM/Chevrolet and my dealer have at it and see where we end up, they already have a ticket open on the issue and they already know I can lemon law it at 30 days, get my money back, and go buy a new one. This should motivate them to do something and I will be less and less understanding as this goes forward without the kind of resolution and guarantees I want. So in the end they may get to buy it back from me.

I just can’t believe there isn’t a valve body, some of this other crap maybe, but a VB?
From what I understand, this is a big issue for GM, and there are literally hundreds of them needed nationwide on a first needed first served basis, but of course they wouldn't think of stopping production to fulfil warranty, so my patience with them is wearing a bit thin currently.

I can also at the 30 day mark start Lemon Law proceedings here in Maryland if it isn't repaired by then, I really like the truck so I am weighing my options here.
You should ask for a trade to get a 2500HD ZR2 Duramax, ain't likely to have any motor or tranny issues. They otherwise don't work worth a shit either, but you can say you have one.

So, on the crooked button front, my parking brake button is the only one not clipped in place on the left side near the door, when I reach around and push it into place it goes, feels like it clips in place, but doesn't, so the next time I push it in the middle of the button it pops out again. I need to do a little more disassembly so I can see in there and try to figure out what is going on before it drives me crazy!
My 1500 wasn't sitting right in the bezel but a simple push of the button from behind and it locked in place and looked good. Minimal effort required.

My 2500HD was crooked. I've tried multiple times to get it seated in the bezel squarely. Haven't been able to make it work. The subframe behind the bezel needs to be shifted, but not sure I see a clear path to do that. It seems to be mounted very firmly. I think I've managed to make it slightly worse, so I'm following GMs intended path for trim work.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back