Replacement Shocks - Stock Multimatic Issues

A-001

Reaction score
I have a 23 ZR2 and have been dealing with shock issues. Started with the rear around 40k miles. Every bump I'd get a clunking noise. Jumping on the bumper would simulate the noise and the ride is garbage.

Replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein 5100's - problem solved.

Now the front needs replacement and I was looking at the Bilstein 6112's

Has any one changed out the front shock/spring assembly with Bilstein's?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Reactions: AXE
Haven't replaced mine with other brand. I had one rear replaced under warranty. I do hear a clunk in front when turning on a drive way. Haven't taken to dealer yet to see what it is.

I have a 23 ZR2 and have been dealing with shock issues. Started with the rear around 40k miles. Every bump I'd get a clunking noise. Jumping on the bumper would simulate the noise and the ride is garbage.

Replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein 5100's - problem solved.

Now the front needs replacement and I was looking at the Bilstein 6112's

Has any one changed out the front shock/spring assembly with Bilstein's?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I've never seen a set of shocks last much more than 40k. Sure you can run em 60k, but it'll ride and handle like shit and all the related drive train parts will suffer.

Call some of the shock companies and Multimatic and see if they offer a rebuild service.

There's about to be a lot of long faces due to shock life on this forum.

I'd just buck up and get some new DSSV shocks. Run em another 40k.

Last edited:
Not positive on the Chev 1500 ZR2, but other 6112 coilover packages include respringing as the stock springs don't fit around the larger shock body.

The spring rate impacts load handling and ride quality, so make sure you like any changes in the revised rate.

In general, Bilstein's use of digressive valving results in a firmer ride compared to something like a Fox. I'd assume if you like the impact of the 5100s out back, that may be your preference anyway.

Side note, Shock Surplus normally offers a very reasonable assembly cost where they'll use the OEM top hat assembly and ship it to you all set up. I'm not a fan of screwing with spring compressors.

I don't see a ZR2 specific 6112, is the 1500 ZR2 ride height different from a standard 1500? Looks like they are only setup for a max 1.2" lift from standard 1500. IIRC, the 6112 spring perch selection is done with c-clips and has to be disassembled if you don't like the original setting you choose.

EDIT: Just to note although this is in the HD section, I'm assuming that a 23 that has coilovers and can use a 6112 meanss you are talking half ton.

I've never seen a set of shocks last much more than 40k. Sure you can run em 60k, but it'll ride and handle like shit and all the related drive train parts will suffer.

Call some of the shock companies and Multimatic and see if they offer a rebuild service.

There's about to be a lot of long faces due to shock life on this forum.

I'd just buck up and get some new DSSV shocks. Run em another $40k.
You seem to not realize how much they cost

Reactions: AXE
You seem to not realize how much they cost
No mystery to me, I've posted about this months ago for everyone benefit. I said it would be $4-5k. GM announced avaliable replacements a few months back and it came in under $4k if you do it yourself, which would be easy.

I've spent thousands of $ on suspension on damn near everything I've ever own. I've never seen a shock that didn't need to be replaced or rebuilt regardless of price.

I've spent $1600+ to replace the magic ride shocks on my wife's last Tahoe. Dealer wanted $2600.

The guys running sand rails in the dunes and trophy trucks in the desert have $15K in suspension on each corner.

If you want to stay with them, look for a rebuilder, may need to call Multimatic.

I know Accutune does Fox and Kings and is highly regarded, maybe he can refer you to a Multimatic guy?
That's what I said previously. Multimatic is based in Canada. I would think they would have authorized service centers in the USA. Like any shock, it's just some internal hardware and seals. Seems like a rebuild for 4 shocks would be $800-1000.

“industry” standard is 50k shock change outs. Suspension parts slowly degrade overtime so it’s not as obvious as something physically breaking.

100k and every bushing and joint in the suspension is shot. This is all a part of routine maintenance.

Unfortunately, as owners you signed up for boutique shocks. Just be happy these trucks are Trail Boss+ and share most other components with regular Silverado’s.

I haven’t looked recently, as it will be a few years before I’m changing parts on my truck as I drive about 10k a year, but the last gen Colorado had multimatics available on sites like summit for much less than the dealer will sell you them.

But list was a year or so ago about a G A strut and much less for the rear shocks. A DIY guy can get out for less than 3.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back