Question for those who tow and have a Catback.

FLAZR2

Reaction score
Question for those who tow and have a Catback. And by tow I meaning hundreds of miles not just around town. Do you reqret it? Anything you would do different?
I am thinking of getting a travel trailer.
I rode in a Ram 1500 that had a Borla Catback that was towing a towing a travel trailer. Truck sounded good without towing anything, but while towing after a few hundred miles the noise was getting to me. It's not like it had drone or anything. I am used to and like louder than factory exhaust, but have never really towed anything heavy before or for extended periods of time.
I find the stock ZR2 exhaust too quiet and am shopping for a catback.
I had a Corsa on my 2007 Avalanche with headers and no cats, it was borderline obnoxious but I mostly loved it except it was a bit raspy. I prefer a more deep muscle car sound like Magnaflow or Flowmaster.
I am leaning toward AWE Tuning 0FG Catback Split Dual exhaust, because it's true dual exhaust (I'm old school like that).
Thanks for your input.

Question for those who tow and have a Catback. And by tow I meaning hundreds of miles not just around town. Do you reqret it? Anything you would do different?
I rode in a Ram 1500 that had a Borla Catback that was towing a towing a travel trailer. Truck sounded good without towing anything, but while towing after a few hundred miles the noise was getting to me. It's not like it had drone or anything. I am used to and like louder than factory exhaust, but have never really towed anything heavy before or for extended periods of time.
I had a Corsa on my 2007 Avalanche with headers and no cats, it was borderline obnoxious but I mostly loved it except it was a bit raspy. I prefer a more deep muscle car sound like Magnaflow or Flowmaster.
I am leaning toward AWE Tuning 0FG Catback Split Dual exhaust, because it's true dual exhaust (I'm old school like that).
Thanks for your input.
I have a Borla S and tow a 7x16 enclosed trailer several times a year from Florida to Tennessee and North Carolina. I do not regret for a second changing the exhaust.

Thanks for your input.
Acknowledging the question is directed at those who tow, and while I have with both around town, I haven't over long distances.

I had the Borla S-Type on my first two ZR2s, the GM Performance Exhaust part number. It was WAYYYY better than the 0FG Split Dual that I have on my current truck. It hardly droned at all, and had a better exhaust sound and pitch in all driving conditions.

The 0FG sounds raspy and aggressive at WOT and cold-start, but on a 300+ mile road trip it is a constant baritone drag. It's also much easier to hear when cylinder deactivation is occurring, something I never noticed at cruising speeds with the Borla.

Had it to do again, I would have gone with the S-Type.

Thanks for replies.
I have listened to alot of sound clips of the Borla S and the AWE, which are my 2 choices. But sound clips don't tell the whole story.
I have only been in the RAM with the Borla, no Chevys yet. Gonna try and find one locally to get a better feel.
The 0FG sounds raspy and aggressive at WOT and cold-start, but on a 300+ mile road trip it is a constant baritone drag. It's also much easier to hear when cylinder deactivation is occurring
This is the part I won't like.......

How heavy are you towing? That'll affect rpms. When you run in tow haul mode, gearing is changed and rpms are increased. With increased rpms comes increased noise.

Once you go high performance nothing stays the same. If you want want a nice towing sound, any kind of open exhaust designed to increase performance is gonna be louder than stock.

If I was you I would do the Magnaflow system for running around town and having fun.. I would modify how you install it, so you can replace the stock can when you tow cross country. If you do it right, it would be a 20 minute swap.

You can see my Magnaflow install post to see what it it looks like.

You sorta answered your own question lol. It will be a similar experience with your truck as it was with the Ram. When you add a load the exhaust will be louder. Too loud is very subjective. Chances are if it sounds good to you unloaded around town, it might be on the loud side to you on longer trips towing. Most of the time aftermarket exhaust doesn't bother me while towing. But there are times I wish I could flip a switch and tone it down. That said I've literally changed every exhaust on every truck I've ever owned since I was 16, lol. My 17 year old you just got home doesn't even have a muffler, because him and his friends cut it off. Basically, it might be on the loud side sometimes, but you are probably going to do it anyway, just because that's what truck guys do 🤷

You sorta answered your own question lol. It will be a similar experience with your truck as it was with the Ram. When you add a load the exhaust will be louder. Too loud is very subjective. Chances are if it sounds good to you unloaded around town, it might be on the loud side to you on longer trips towing. Most of the time aftermarket exhaust doesn't bother me while towing. But there are times I wish I could flip a switch and tone it down. That said I've literally changed every exhaust on every truck I've ever owned since I was 16, lol. My 17 year old you just got home doesn't even have a muffler, because him and his friends cut it off. Basically, it might be on the loud side sometimes, but you are probably going to do it anyway, just because that's what truck guys do 🤷
Oh yeah I can't help myself, I have modded every car/truck I have ever owned, and always the exhaust.
Just looking for some feedback before I do it. I have pretty much decided to go with the AWE because it is true dual exhaust, and just live with it. It does seem that it sounds different than the single exhaust for the 5.3 trucks.
f9d034b58157745ac20f31af731df9ba.jpg

just

Oh yeah I can't help myself, I have modded every car/truck I have ever owned, and always the exhaust.
Just looking for some feedback before I do it. I have pretty much decided to go with the AWE because it is true dual exhaust, and just live with it. It does seem that it sounds different than the single exhaust for the 5.3 trucks.
View attachment 13906
just
I noticed a big difference between the Borla exhaust on my 5.3 vs my 6.2. I spoke with Borla and they confirmed.

Most Member Reactions

Back