Ordering Questions for HD ZR2

R2Z2

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m new to the forum and hope this thread is received well. I currently own a 2024 Colorado ZR2 and have an order for a 2025 HD ZR2 Bison (Gasser). The reason I’m posting is because there are a few options on my build sheet that are big question marks for me and I’m not too proud to admit I don’t know enough to make an informed decision. I’ve tried searching here and in just general Google searches and haven’t been able to find a clear answer.

My first question is, which battery/alternator are you all deciding on for your truck and why? I want to make sure I’m not messing up by either adding or not adding an option. I currently have the 220 amp alternator and the Auxiliary 730 cold-cranking amps battery option selected. Should I keep that option, skip any option at all, or add the Dual, 220 amp primary and 170 auxiliary amp alternators? My reasoning (uninformed) is due to the possibility of a winch in the future, slide out fridge in the back, and towing a 30ft Airstream trailer. I also like that it sounds like even if your kid turns on every light in the truck or something while camping, you might still be able to start the truck with an otherwise dead battery because of the auxiliary battery? Lol. Idk guys, I really don’t know. Any help would be appreciated before it’s too late to change my order sheet. Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

I’m new to the forum and hope this thread is received well. I currently own a 2024 Colorado ZR2 and have an order for a 2025 HD ZR2 Bison (Gasser). The reason I’m posting is because there are a few options on my build sheet that are big question marks for me and I’m not too proud to admit I don’t know enough to make an informed decision. I’ve tried searching here and in just general Google searches and haven’t been able to find a clear answer.

My first question is, which battery/alternator are you all deciding on for your truck and why? I want to make sure I’m not messing up by either adding or not adding an option. I currently have the 220 amp alternator and the Auxiliary 730 cold-cranking amps battery option selected. Should I keep that option, skip any option at all, or add the Dual, 220 amp primary and 170 auxiliary amp alternators? My reasoning (uninformed) is due to the possibility of a winch in the future, slide out fridge in the back, and towing a 30ft Airstream trailer. I also like that it sounds like even if your kid turns on every light in the truck or something while camping, you might still be able to start the truck with an otherwise dead battery because of the auxiliary battery? Lol. Idk guys, I really don’t know. Any help would be appreciated before it’s too late to change my order sheet. Thanks in advance!
It sounds like you would benefit from the higher output alternator and battery setup. The cost to do it now is likely less than later and woukd save you the headaches of doing it yourself. Might help with resale down the road too.

I have had a few 2500HD Duramaxes and have always used the standard build alternator option, but I only run a handful of aux lights and small accessories. They do just fine for that level of use. My camper has a 5500 Watt generator, so I never have to worry about charging when hunting and camping.

It sounds like you would benefit from the higher output alternator and battery setup. The cost to do it now is likely less than later and woukd save you the headaches of doing it yourself. Might help with resale down the road too.

I have had a few 2500HD Duramaxes and have always used the standard build alternator option, but I only run a handful of aux lights and small accessories. They do just fine for that level of use. My camper has a 5500 Watt generator, so I never have to worry about charging when hunting and camping.
Thank you so much for the response. So if I’m reading this right, the single 220 amp alternator option and the Auxiliary 730 cold-cranking amps battery should be sufficient for my use case? Just confirming I probably don’t need the dual alternator option. I’m sure that’s way overkill.

Thank you so much for the response. So if I’m reading this right, the single 220 amp alternator option and the Auxiliary 730 cold-cranking amps battery should be sufficient for my use case? Just confirming I probably don’t need the dual alternator option. I’m sure that’s way overkill.
Load it up...it's only money.

I like the idea of dual batteries even for the gasser. You get dual batteries on the Duramax, to turn that big pig over. Batteries don't seem to last long anymore, I'm lucky to get two years. The last time I replaced my dual batteries it was $500 for good batteries. So definitely more maintenance costs down the road.

Might want to consider adding the 5th wheel prep package. You may not need it with your Airstream, but might down the road or with resale. Also not much cost.

Last edited:
100% get this option. You don't need dual alternators. I think people add them just because. Yes your camper can charge from the truck while towing, BUT it charges from a 10ga wire that runs 25' plus. AT most you might get 24 amps to the camper. Usually it's more like 10-15 amps. You don't need Dual alternators for towing. But the gasser default comes with only a 170amp alternator and a single battery. The 220amp upgrade is a good idea if you tow, or basically add much of anything that pulls power. On the gasser the second battery is setup like an auxiliary battery. Which is awesome. It is isolated from the starting battery when the truck is off and charges when the truck is running. So while parked, or camping, ect. You can have things running on the Aux battery with no worries of not being able to start your truck. This also gives you the ability to jump start your own truck from the second battery if for some reason the starting one goes down.

My gasser had the 220amp alternator upgrade, But did not have the second battery. I can promise you it cost more and is more trouble to add it after the fact, lol.

Most Member Reactions

Back