Maybe be a stupid question from a new Diesel owner.....

The only indication is a drop in fuel mileage, no DIC message, etc. I wish they did have a message/indicator and would allow manual regens. I drive short and long trips, and would be nice to know when it is getting close to due for a regen and let me initiate it when I know I am gonna be driving a while.

I am using that bluetooth diagnostic reader you recommended, and it tells you. Mine just did one Friday morning when driving from Houston to my place in central TX - lasted approx 20 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_4369.png
    IMG_4369.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4370.png
    IMG_4370.png
    72 KB · Views: 19
Your first couple will probably have a unique burning smell as the oils on the exhaust are getting hot(no big deal), Second, you’ll be at a light or somewhere and hear a little more growl to the motor. It’ll have a slightly higher idle too. If you shift into park it stops regening, and will finish it next time you drive, if it wasn’t completed.
If you get the Banks I dash you can program to watch all that too.
It’s designed to be seamless and you just drive, with that, just drive and enjoy and we’ll learn ya more as you get familiar.

Your first couple will probably have a unique burning smell as the oils on the exhaust are getting hot(no big deal), Second, you’ll be at a light or somewhere and hear a little more growl to the motor. It’ll have a slightly higher idle too. If you shift into park it stops regening, and will finish it next time you drive, if it wasn’t completed.
If you get the Banks I dash you can program to watch all that too.
It’s designed to be seamless and you just drive, with that, just drive and enjoy and we’ll learn ya more as you get familiar.
Thanks! Just ordered my iDash and custom pod😀

It's really hard to tell on this rig without a reader. Mostly you’ll notice it if you're watching your instant mileage drop to around 10-12 sustained. Regens on mine seem longer at 550-600 miles. They are very stealthy, as they should be. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'll get one per tank or thereabouts.

I tracked almost every one on my previous diesel by watching/hearing the rpms tick up, watching fuel mileage, sluggish power, and seeing white soot/ash come out the pipe, sometimes a Sulphur smell if the conditions were right. What did it get me for my effort......a long gawd damned list.

Lots of fear mongering about plugged DPFs and short tripping. That was mostly an issue from 10-14 models when it was new tech. If that was a real problem there be a truck on the side of the road every 3 miles around here. It's very unlikely you'll have DPF issues on late model rigs.

Drive more, worry less!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240804_194626_Note Everything.jpg
    Screenshot_20240804_194626_Note Everything.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It's really hard to tell on this rig without a reader. Mostly you’ll notice it if you're watching your instant mileage drop to around 10-12 sustained. Regens on mine seem longer at 550-600 miles. They are very stealthy, as they should be. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'll get one per tank or thereabouts.

I tracked almost every one on my previous diesel by watching/hearing the rpms tick up, watching fuel mileage, sluggish power, and seeing white soot/ash come out the pipe, sometimes a Sulphur smell if the conditions were right. What did it get me for my effort......a long gawd damned list.

Lots of fear mongering about plugged DPFs and short tripping. That was mostly an issue from 10-14 models when it was new tech. If that was a real problem there be a truck on the side of the road every 3 miles around here. It's very unlikely you'll have DPF issues on late model rigs.

Drive more, worry less!
This is what I like to hear...thanks my friend!

Drive more, worry less!
Agree with Axe, they’ve come A LONG way and while anything could happen…just drive it and enjoy it 👍

Agree with Axe, they’ve come A LONG way and while anything could happen…just drive it and enjoy it 👍
Thanks, and that's my plan. As an anal engineer, I just like to learn and understand as much as I can related to anything I purchase. I greatly appreciate all of the excellent insight my friends and the Chevy Duramax Forum I joined has some great information I've been reading as well.

Most Member Reactions

Back