Loud Squeaking Noise

Rebelt

Reaction score
Hey all you experts need some help diagnosing a loud squeaking noise. I've started to notice a loud squeaking noise coming from underneath the rear of my ZR2 HD. I only notice the sound when I'm traveling low speeds 14mph or slower. I don't hear it when I apply the breaks or when I go over bumpy roads. My truck has 2,000 miles on it. This sound is driving me crazy. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Check to see if your spare tire is cranked up and solid.

Make sure you're heat shield between the exhaust and spare isn't rubbing.

May need to check the torque and alignment on the springs where the u bolts connect to the axle.

Check the fluid in the rear differential.

May have a bad wheel bearing from factory.

The speed may only be coincidental, in that you can hear it with less vehicle and road noise.

Thank you for reply. I checked the spare tire and heat shield, all are solid and heat shield does not appear to be rubbing. Dif fluid is good. Ill check the u bolts. The bad wheel bearing from the factory is concerning. Thank you Axe

Reactions: AXE
Thank you for reply. I checked the spare tire and heat shield, all are solid and heat shield does not appear to be rubbing. Dif fluid is good. Ill check the u bolts. The bad wheel bearing from the factory is concerning. Thank you Axe
Yeah, that was just a WAG. If it's a constant noise, it might be something spinning, may also want to check u joint. May check the bed mount to make sure they aren't loose on the rubber mounts.

It's always the last thing you check and I'm running out of suggestions........LOL

I experienced something REALLY similar to what @Rebelt described, but it was on my ram 3500. After lots of troubleshooting it was the rear dif like @AXE mentioned. Fluid level was good, but serviced it and no issues after that. No damage or anything, just needed some love and attention I guess.

Thank you to all. Ill continue troubleshoot some of other mentioned places and then off to the dealership.

Have read elsewhere of some getting new rear spring packs and some having issues with the undercoating getting into the spring pack and causing em to be noisy.

I first thought it was the spring pack, so I hosed it down with Lithium grease but still hear it. Thanks for the info though.

Most Member Reactions

Back