Heavy Weight Champ

DEF consumption was pretty high with this kind of low mileage. I just figured out I burned about 6 gallons in 1660 miles. Pauper had posted DEF consumption was 2-3% of fuel, so at 3% and around 200 gallons of fuel burned, I think that is about right. I've never seen a burn rate that high on my previous LML Duramax, so they got it dialed up on these rigs.

Also had some wierd DEF messages flash up on the DIC. Right after I added DEF and took off, it woukd give me a low DEF message <500 miles to go before reduced power. That's the same message you get when it is actually low. Also had these annoying messages come up in DIC and I could not clear it for 60 miles until I added DEF at my next fuel stop.

Very wonky software for this DEF system....... same ol bullshit as the rest of the programming.

Attachments

• 20241020_182204.jpg
    20241020_182204.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20241020_182153.jpg
    20241020_182153.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 3
Yikes, Yeah not cool. That's actually why I ended up deleting my LML. Had a camper behind me in TN mountains late at night. Truck prompted low DEF 800 miles of range. About 5 mins later it prompted me again 500 miles range. Few mins later I got a message DEF empty, reduced power. Refill tank, speed will be limited to 35mph upon restart, lol. Turns out I wasn't out of DEF at all, the sensor just wasn't reading correctly. Once we made it to camp a buddy of mine was able to get it working the next day. With in two weeks I drove it up to KY and had the same buddy delete it. Truck had less then 20k miles on it. Never cared about the DEF stuff really, But the fact that I was almost stranded 300 miles from home with my toyhauler and a basically new truck because of a DEF sensor. Warranty or not it had to go, lol. After that experience and some of the emission problems my friends have had over the years. I just don't have a ton of faith in the systems. They do seem like they have gotten better, Still seem like the weak link on these trucks though.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back