Goodyear Launches Cooper Discoverer Stronghold AT All-Terrain Tire

Went on-line and there is very limited information on them right now. Very curious to see if these tires have 3 ply sidewalls. Typically, GY does not use them but after there are reviews based on tests rather than the press releases only, I will be surprised.

Not going to be changing regardless on mine from the BFG HD's. They have been performing exemplary in 22k so far since December. The new Coopers may be just the ticket for some folks.

Not sure how much Internet sleuthing was done here, so I'll offer this to the guy that has me blocked cause he already knew more than me about tires.......LOL.

The 295s are load range E rated for 4080 lbs. The 35s are load range F, with 3640 lb load rating. That could imply 10-12 ply rating which typically means heavy sidewall plys. I can guarantee they are 3 ply or they wouldn't have those ratings......simple!

Last edited:
Not sure how much Internet sleuthing was done here, so I'll offer this to the guy that has me blocked cause he already knew more than me about tires.......LOL.

The 295s are load range E rated for 4080 lbs. The 35s are load range F, with 3640 lb load rating. That could imply 10-12 ply rating which typically means heavy sidewall plys. I can guarantee they are 3 ply or they wouldn't have those ratings......simple!

I challenge your theory. Only way to settle this like the Gentalmen we aren't is to buy one and cut it open.

I challenge your theory. Only way to settle this like the Gentalmen we aren't is to buy one and cut it open.

LOL the "ply" rating has not been relevant since bias ply tires went away. It is now controlled by the load rating. Wasted an hour going through the GY tech support (talked to Gary) line only to be told ultimately that they are a 2 ply sidewall and the sizes for the HD ZR2 if you have the 18-inch wheels are metric for our HD trucks but the 35x12.50-20 is made in this tire.

Now you can take the "guarantee" from our resident and highly credentialed tire expert and a few dollars and get a cup of overpriced coffee. Now you know why he is on ignore. This one I did see your reply and figured he has made yet another major technical blunder again and I was correct--"simple". ;) This link will explain, and it is absolutely accurate that on radial tires the "ply" rating has nothing to do with the actual number of plies that make up the carcass and tread on the tire. Has been this way since radial tires started being used on passenger vehicles.

Kind of sad actually because these tires did get my curiosity up.

I lnew you couldn't stand not to unblock me because you appreciate good information.......LOL. You should block me again tho cause you're full of shit.

I can walk right out and look at my Load range E and above tires. They all have a stamped 3 ply or above sidewall rating if they are rated above 3500 lbs.

You can't put a heavy truck into service and then load it down with another 8-16k without having stiffer sidewalls. That's how they get the tow rating and how they can roll down the road 25k gross.

Besides that, nobody looking for a good tire ever rolled on a Goodyear. If you want a premium tire you have to run Toyos. That guy you talked to on the phone secretly runs Toyos on his rigs.

I lnew you couldn't stand not to unblock me because you appreciate good information.......LOL. You should block me again tho cause you're full of shit.

I can walk right out and look at my Load range E and above tires. They all have a stamped 3 ply or above sidewall rating.if they are rated above 3500 lbs.

You can't put a heavy truck into service and then load it down with another 8-16k without having stiffer sidewalls. That's how they get the tow rating and how they can roll down the road 25k gross.

Besides that, nobody looking for a good tire ever rolled on a Goodyear. If you want a premium tire you have to run Toyos. That guy you talked to on the phone secretly runs Toyos on his rigs.
WOW this guy is actually an idiot. Will not take him off ignore again. Rather than just admitting he is wrong he just digs himself deeper. Pretty sad actually. Know he will come back again and use more bad language, but I will not see it. You folks have fun with this fool however, look up the information cited, as he is dead wrong. Casting aspersions does not make you right. ;) :eek:

WOW this guy is actually an idiot. Will not take him off ignore again. Rather than just admitting he is wrong he just digs himself deeper. Pretty sad actually. Know he will come back again and use more bad language, but I will not see it. You folks have fun with this fool however, look up the information cited, as he is dead wrong. Casting aspersions does not make you right. ;) :eek:
You probably follow me on X too for other good info..........nobody ignores the good accounts, cause its too much fun.........you've established that.......LOL.

1000037397.jpg

This is what you'll see on the side of a 10 ply rating, 295, Load Range E tire rated at 4080 lbs. They need a higher ply rating in the sidewalls to handle that kind of weight. Also that 129/126Q is the speed/load ating.

For those that haven't ignored and unignored me again for the 10th time and also for those that haven't left the chat (Bizon lol), you can thank me later when you find this information to be useful.

It wouldn't actually help to cut one open. Ply ratings do not necessarily mean the same nowadays, as the materials have changed (e.g., Kevlar), so you can achieve different ratings without more "plies". The load index is more useful.

Attachments

• 20240626_135147.jpg
    20240626_135147.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240626_135158.jpg
    20240626_135158.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240626_135205.jpg
    20240626_135205.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Most Member Reactions