Finally...A Midnight Edition with Black Wheel Lugs!

securityguy

Reaction score
Crazy that GM puts chrome lug nuts on a Midnight Edition Truck. I fixed that issue today :D

2500HD Black Lugs.jpg

I see those machined bevels on the wheel lug holes. Are you sure your getting a proper surface to surface mating between the lug and wheel? One thing I've noticed with recent GM wheels and lugs they have these larger cuts and the bases of the lugs are huge. That's why you can't use GM lugs on most aftermarket wheels.

I see those machined bevels on the wheel lug holes. Are you sure your getting a proper surface to surface mating between the lug and wheel? One thing I've noticed with recent GM wheels and lugs they have these larger cuts and the bases of the lugs are huge. That's why you can't use GM lugs on most aftermarket wheels.
I contacted McGard and they stated these are the correct lugs for this model and OEM wheel. The appear to seat fine and are torqued to 140 lb-ft. The cone is a bit smaller on the McGards.

I contacted McGard and they stated these are the correct lugs for this model and OEM wheel. The appear to seat fine and are torqued to 140 lb-ft. The cone is a bit smaller on the McGards.
Looks a bit questionable to me. You can torque anything, but it requires a certain amount of surface area to maintain it. Your missing a lot of surface area there. Especially on a 8000+ lb rig rolling down the road.

You're gonna have to powder coat those wheels to eliminate that moon dog on your Midnight Edition.

GM has black lug nuts available for a small fee. Also they have black caps for lugs with outside threads. Not sure they would be for all stock lugs tho.

Last edited:
Looks a bit questionable to me. You can torque anything, but it requires a certain amount of surface area to maintain it. Your missing a lot of surface area there. Especially on a 8000+ lb rig rolling down the road.

You're gonna have to powder coat those wheels to eliminate that moon dog on your Midnight Edition.

GM has black lug nuts available for a small fee. Also they have black caps for lugs with outside threads. Not sure they would be for all stock lugs tho.

Actually I am not missing a lot of surface area. I called McGard tech support and talked to an Engineer. He stated that the oversized cones on the OEM lugs actually don't make full contact with the wheel and only the bottom portion of the cone makes contact. He told me to look at the lugs I took off and that it would be very clear and he was correct. He stated that they actually make the black lug nuts for GM with a GM part number. The ones I bought are identical to the GM part. The cone on the McGard lugs makes the correct amount of contact and there are zero issues with the wheel seating correctly or safety as long as they are torqued to the vehicles specifications. These aren't AMAZON lug nuts for $50. The GM branded lugs were like $425. I found them for $200 shipped to my door. Very happy with the results and a lifetime finish warranty even if a shop messes a few up they stated they will replace them at no charge.

Actually I am not missing a lot of surface area. I called McGard tech support and talked to an Engineer. He stated that the oversized cones on the OEM lugs actually don't make full contact with the wheel and only the bottom portion of the cone makes contact. He told me to look at the lugs I took off and that it would be very clear and he was correct. He stated that they actually make the black lug nuts for GM with a GM part number. The ones I bought are identical to the GM part. The cone on the McGard lugs makes the correct amount of contact and there are zero issues with the wheel seating correctly or safety as long as they are torqued to the vehicles specifications. These aren't AMAZON lug nuts for $50. The GM branded lugs were like $425. I found them for $200 shipped to my door. Very happy with the results and a lifetime finish warranty even if a shop messes a few up they stated they will replace them at no charge.
I think they are a universal lug design for aftermarket wheels that are machined different. I used similar design lugs bases on aftermarket wheels that are cut to match. I'm pretty sure that's the same base as the ones on my 1500 Method wheels.

Did you ask them why they don't make a version that is specific for stock late model GM wheels so you can have the only true Midnight Edition instead of the Moondog Edition?

I think they are a universal lug design for aftermarket wheels that are machined different. I used similar design lugs bases on aftermarket wheels that are cut to match. I'm pretty sure that's the same base as the ones on my 1500 Method wheels.

Did you ask them why they don't make a version that is specific for stock late model GM wheels so you can have the only true Midnight Edition instead of the Moondog Edition?
They are made for both the OEM and aftermarket wheels. He stated there is ZERO reason for GM to make the wide cones except to HIDE what you call the moondog. He stated the wide cone serves no purpose other than to visually cover up that unpainted area of the wheel. GM doesn't supply black lugs from the factory with the midnight edition because the black lugs will not cover the area on the wheels that isn't "painted" in manufacturing. Personally, that small "moondog" doesn't bother me in the slightest. I prefer the black lugs over the oversized chrome lugs any day.

They are made for both the OEM and aftermarket wheels. He stated there is ZERO reason for GM to make the wide cones except to HIDE what you call the moondog. He stated the wide cone serves no purpose other than to visually cover up that unpainted area of the wheel. GM doesn't supply black lugs from the factory with the midnight edition because the black lugs will not cover the area on the wheels that isn't "painted" in manufacturing. Personally, that small "moondog" doesn't bother me in the slightest. I prefer the black lugs over the oversized chrome lugs any day.
The reason that part of the wheel is unpainted is that it serves the purpose of providing a stable surface for the lug to mate. If it had paint, the paint would crush and the lug would loosen asnit decomposes. If it wasn't necessary for proper torquing, the wheel would have been designed differently.

Looks sloppy to me! You don't want chrome, but leave bare aluminum showing anyway?

There's a price for vanity, but it ain't worth compromising safety. I'd make sure your wife and buddy have a copy of that correspondence with that "engineer".

Last edited:
Looks sloppy to me! You don't want chrome, but leave bare aluminum showing anyway?

There's a price for vanity, but it ain't worth compromising safety. I'd make sure your wife and buddy have a copy of that correspondence with that "engineer".
I appreciate your concern Axe. I am not compromising safety and you clearly aren't understanding what I am sharing with you. If I felt, in the slightest, there was a safety concern, I wouldn't leave them on. These are the same lugs that GM would put on your truck if you bought them from a GM dealer and are designed for the 2500HD OEM wheels. If I die in a wreck, I'll be sure to let you know ;)

I appreciate your concern Axe. I am not compromising safety and you clearly aren't understanding what I am sharing with you. If I felt, in the slightest, there was a safety concern, I wouldn't leave them on. These are the same lugs that GM would put on your truck if you bought them from a GM dealer and are designed for the 2500HD OEM wheels. If I die in a wreck, I'll be sure to let you know ;)
Send it!

Most Member Reactions

Back