Engine Oil Hot

Having had my 2022 towed twice, there is only one sure fire way to get them in to neutral when it won’t start. Block the rear tires, disconnect the rear wheel electronic emergency brake (both sides), get vise grips or a 5/16” wrench and some zip ties. Crawl under it with the truck ignition on. Take the 5/16” wrench, place it on the flats of the shifter shaft on the driver’s side of the transmission and turn it counter clockwise towards the transmission lines. Then zip tie the wrench to the transmission lines to hold it in place.
I thought it was a 10 mm wrench? The guy in the video says that too. 10 mm = 3/8", sort of. He says to use a long one, I assume cause it provides more leverage and easier to tie back.

I thought it was a 10 mm wrench? The guy in the video says that too. 10 mm = 3/8", sort of. He says to use a long one, I assume cause it provides more leverage and easier to tie back.
There is a special tool for taking out of park. But I believe that even some dealers don't have it.

There is a special tool for taking out of park. But I believe that even some dealers don't have it.

There is. The tool is like 300. I looked into it when i still had my 1500, but it still takes some work from underneath the truck though. It's just a dumb design. There should be a manual release inside the cab somewhere. Honestly for the OP's case and in that tow truck video. That should be able to be fixed in the software. If the truck has power, no reason to not let it shift into neutral. Manual release only would be needed for electrical system failure.

The HD doesn't have this problem. Push and hold the start button for about 10 seconds, then you can shift into any gear you want with the engine off. I'm not sure why the console shifter on the 1500 doesn't work the same way. It's electronic instead of mechanical. But if you have power. It should be able to shift out of park.

The HD doesn't have this problem. Push and hold the start button for about 10 seconds, then you can shift into any gear you want with the engine off. I'm not sure why the console shifter on the 1500 doesn't work the same way. It's electronic instead of mechanical. But if you have power. It should be able to shift out of park.
Sadly not the first time manufactures add features/capabilities to what's considered "work trucks" vs "pickup trucks". So frustrating in this case because it really does boil down to something that is controlled by software.

...ignoring the fact that there should always be an end user manual way of doing it...

Serious question… but what if no power? I’ve honestly never thought about that or looked into it.

Serious question… but what if no power? I’ve honestly never thought about that or looked into it.

Well unfortunately, I think that's a downside to the push button start. I'm not sure there is away to turn the ignition on to release the shifter without some power. But I carry a jump box in all my vehicles. So a dead battery shouldn't be a problem.

The problem with the 1500s is you could simply run out of gas and the truck can't be pushed out of the way, lol. Sad part is though lifters, main bearing failure or fuel module failure is probably more common then running out of gas 😅

I thought it was 10mm too. I carried a 10mm and zip ties after the first FPCM went out. When the second FPCM went out I found out the 10mm does not fit the flats of the shifter shaft. While at the dealership a tech came out to help the wrecker driver get the truck of the rollback. He said he uses a 5/16”. I plan to crawl under my new truck and make sure I’m carrying the right size wrench.

Maybe some engineer can come up with a cheap OBD plugin to unlock the trans.

I thought it was 10mm too. I carried a 10mm and zip ties after the first FPCM went out. When the second FPCM went out I found out the 10mm does not fit the flats of the shifter shaft. While at the dealership a tech came out to help the wrecker driver get the truck of the rollback. He said he uses a 5/16”. I plan to crawl under my new truck and make sure I’m carrying the right size wrench.

Maybe some engineer can come up with a cheap OBD plugin to unlock the trans.
I carry a set of tools in every rig, including a set of SAE and metric combination wrenches. I have vice grips in my HD, might have to throw a set in my 1500. Wouldn't be the first time a vise grips and a some zip ties saved my ass......LOL

There is. The tool is like 300. I looked into it when i still had my 1500, but it still takes some work from underneath the truck though. It's just a dumb design. There should be a manual release inside the cab somewhere. Honestly for the OP's case and in that tow truck video. That should be able to be fixed in the software. If the truck has power, no reason to not let it shift into neutral. Manual release only would be needed for electrical system failure.

Tahoe/Suburban had push button shifters on the dash and also can't be shifted when not running (seen videos of the same). I see the 25 Tahoe refresh went back to the column shifter. I assume the 26 Silverado will too. Maybe this won't be an issue after that change.

Zip ties have saved my posterior side many a times
1000031067.jpg

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back