Cylinder drop out

The U9 will not create any issues at all related to the tranny. It only impact throttle sensitivity.
Which i believe is essentially remapping the TQM software settings (ie torque management) from the factory. It isn’t adding any power but it’s making what is there available sooner and faster in the throttle curve. It gives you that seat of the pants feel/smile.

The middle man software that’s normally limiting that available power is being changed or altered if you will. It all depends on how much the settings are changed as to how far you are pushing the tranny. My assumption would be the tranny should be able to handle all the power on tap but have no idea if GM tuned the tranny assuming the TQM was in place. It’s why diesel tuners often recommend only towing on level 1 or 2 as an example, drivetrain can’t handle the power available at heavy loads…things start to break. Once factory settings start getting monkeyed with, unless you truly know what’s been changed and what that means, you are trusting a web page selling you something that it’s “completely safe”…what actual recourse do you have if it isn’t? Diesel guys been learning these lessons for a couple decades 😅

I am not even remotely stating any of these throttle controllers are pushing unsafe mechanical boundaries, I haven’t seen the tuning, had enough hands on experience, nor done enough digging to have an educated opinion. I will always argue re-tuning or remapping of software in real time does have at least some risk.

Which i believe is essentially remapping the TQM software settings (ie torque management) from the factory. It isn’t adding any power but it’s making what is there available sooner and faster in the throttle curve. It gives you that seat of the pants feel/smile.

The middle man software that’s normally limiting that available power is being changed or altered if you will. It all depends on how much the settings are changed as to how far you are pushing the tranny. My assumption would be the tranny should be able to handle all the power on tap but have no idea if GM tuned the tranny assuming the TQM was in place. It’s why diesel tuners often recommend only towing on level 1 or 2 as an example, drivetrain can’t handle the power available at heavy loads…things start to break. Once factory settings start getting monkeyed with, unless you truly know what’s been changed and what that means, you are trusting a web page selling you something that it’s “completely safe”…what actual recourse do you have if it isn’t? Diesel guys been learning these lessons for a couple decades 😅

I am not even remotely stating any of these throttle controllers are pushing unsafe mechanical boundaries, I haven’t seen the tuning, had enough hands on experience, nor done enough digging to have an educated opinion. I will always argue re-tuning or remapping of software in real time does have at least some risk.
I will call and talk to their engineer again and see what I can uncover.

great discussion guys @HuntRedi and @securityguy . im looking forward to more info as this is not a cosmetic issue but an issue for all is gassers.

So running Tow Mode long term shouldn’t in any way void the warranty or harm anything, yeah? It’s just a remapping of the throttle response?

So running Tow Mode long term shouldn’t in any way void the warranty or harm anything, yeah? It’s just a remapping of the throttle response?
Correct...no issues at all. Not really sure it does anything at all to throttle response, but it does change tranny shifting which many of us think makes the ride feel better and more "sporty". Engine runs at slightly higher RPMs, but nothing enough to make any real changes in your MPG. But, then again, when you bought this truck, you weren't thinking of mileage efficiency anyway ;)

I don't think it has anything to do with fueling or throttle response, but fueling and throttle response may be affected by the higher rpms in tow/haul mode.

I won't claim to know anything about this latest 10 speed tranny, but historically for the 6 speeds it's a pretty simple concept as described by a lot of sources along these lines.

"The tow haul mode changes shift points, however it also locks the torque converter up right away to reduce heat. It also increases line pressure in the transmission, which reduces slippage in the clutches and reduces heat."

Last edited:
Here's what the manual says, but it isn't very detailed on how it actually mechanically functions in the transmission.

Attachments

• 20231126_112319.jpg
    20231126_112319.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231126_112047.jpg
    20231126_112047.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The "risk" is how your operating your rig.
Most likely you're in tow haul mode running it harder when you're not towing. If you did that every day, it'll increase wear and tear. Maybe not significantly short term, but over time it could come into play.

Same for products that make the throttle response better. You're doing it to run harder. If you're not running it harder, may as well stay in auto with no mods.

This truck only runs strong from 3000 to 6000 rpms.......I bet most people haven't seen 4000 and the rest would pucker so hard at 5000 they wouldn't bounce off the limiter at 6000. But I do suggest you try it once in a while to keep you feeling young.

Correct...no issues at all. Not really sure it does anything at all to throttle response, but it does change tranny shifting which many of us think makes the ride feel better and more "sporty". Engine runs at slightly higher RPMs, but nothing enough to make any real changes in your MPG. But, then again, when you bought this truck, you weren't thinking of mileage efficiency anyway ;)
Peel out city, here I come!

L9 all the time. Stays in V8 and only lowers the RPM by 200. I do not think tow haul mode would be very economical to get around the issue of staying V8. I get 17.8 MPG and V8 all the time.

Most Member Reactions

Back