Considering a new ZR2 with 6.2 V8

OhThatGuyTX

Reaction score
Howdy y'all! Former Ram 1500 owner (which I loved!) looking into buying a new Silverado ZR2 with the 6.2. Love the truck overall (not a big fan of the Bose stereo. C'mon Chevy, do better!). Hoping to get some experienced thoughts on the truck and engine overall before I make a move. Thanks!

Lots of stuff here addressing these questions. I'll summarize.

It's a great truck with lots of features and is fun to drive. I've enjoyed driving mine.

You might get bad electronics, you might smoke a motor, you might get bad paint, hell you might even pay $9k to get a crooked Bison bumper installed on your $95k rig.

Those are just a few of the problems you might encounter, but you'll never know until you drive one.

There are $7-8k+ discounts being offered now. Don't buy one unless it's discounted heavily. These trucks are worth about $55k. So if you can get one for $65k, you'll be in better shape when you try to sell it in a few years for $40k.

Howdy y'all! Former Ram 1500 owner (which I loved!) looking into buying a new Silverado ZR2 with the 6.2. Love the truck overall (not a big fan of the Bose stereo. C'mon Chevy, do better!). Hoping to get some experienced thoughts on the truck and engine overall before I make a move. Thanks!
Welcome!

The Silverado ZR2 overall is a great truck. It does have its glitches here and there but it ranks pretty high up there on fit and finish.

I would definitely take one out for a spin if you get the chance.

There aren't too many accessories specific for it yet but most TrailBoss items fit. We have a different grille and the front part of the fenders are also different, keep that in mind when shopping for things on the front end.

There are many on dealer lots and the newer members on here report that they have been purchasing at around 7k to 10k off MSRP

It's a great truck with lots of features and is fun to drive. I've enjoyed driving mine.

You might get bad electronics, you might smoke a motor, you might get bad paint, hell you might even pay $9k to get a crooked Bison bumper installed on your $95k rig.

Those are just a few of the problems you might encounter, but you'll never know until you drive one.

There are $7-8k+ discounts being offered now. Don't buy one unless it's discounted heavily. These trucks are worth about $55k. So if you can get one for $65, you'll be in better shape when you try to sell it in a few years for $40k.
It's like we said the same shat at the same time with different words! 😆😆😆

You can find some deep discounts if ya look around

Thanks for all your candor and insights. BIG help. Yeah, I'm talking to a high volume dealer in Miami that's actually offering $14k off MSRP. I also spoke to a local Chevy mechanic that recommended the V8 over the Duromax since I won't being doing a lot of hauling. He told me you really need to give the Duromax some work hauling or highway driving or it'll build up soot. Plus, I just love the growl of that 6.2.

As an aside, I actually looked at the Ford Tremor too. But between the $79k cost (for the trim I liked), minimal discounts (4% at best), loooooooong delivery times for orders and the endless Ford recalls. Hard pass.

Thanks again for your thoughts/experiences with the truck. I'll keep ya updated!

Just make sure you don't get into depression, if your past love comes out to be better than the new one. 😂

Not saying that Chevy is a bad choice 😉

I have a '24 ZR2 Bison and it meets all expectations, my wife loves it and I couldn't get her out of it even if I didn't like it. the problems everyone whines about can be found on any new rig that's just the way it is with this much technology and today's emissions requirements. if you're worried spend a couple grand on the extended warranty and forget about it.

I would get the 6.2 over the turbo-lax. this may be the last V8 you'll ever get in a half ton, but the problematic diesels will still be there if you want one next time.

I had a 2020 Rebel that i loved but traded in on my ZR2. Below is copied from one of my last post over on 5th Gen Rams forum. It's my comparison between the two trucks after owning the ZR2 for a month.....

For anyone interested, here is my (almost) one month comparison between my ZR2 and my Rebel:

Ride: my Rebel had coils and the ZR2 has leaf springs with Multimatic DSSV shocks. It's REALLY close but I'd have to give it to Ram on pavement and ZR2 off road.

Comfort: it's a tie. The seats in the Ram are more comfortable but the overall experience in the ZR2 is nicer. PLUS ITS GOT A DEAD PEDAL!!!!

Off road capability: ZR2. It has front and rear lockers, 4 lo and hi and goes like a mountain goat! No comparison!

Interior storage: Rebel by far! The ZR2 has very little interior storage in the console and no floor buckets.

Engine / Transmission: ZR2. 6.2L and 10 speed transmission with no throttle lag!

Infotainment: Ram, but a tie between my Rebel and ZR2. If my Rebel had one of the upper level stereos I'd have to give this one to Ram. The Bose stereo is pretty anemic. Plus, GM is pretty effed in the head by installing commands on the truck that you can only use if you purchase their OnStar system with WIFI or teather to your phones WIFI hotspot. You can't even change the temperature or fan speed on the HVAC by voice without OnStar or tethering. Crazy!

Exterior Design: Completely subjective but I'm giving this one the the ZR2. When I bought my Rebel, it was a specialized trim level with its own hood and shared wheels and lift with the off road package. Now, you just about have to look at the trim badge or front bumper to see what kind of Ram you're looking at. A lot of the Rams now look a lot alike.

Price: A Rebel GT cost the same as a ZR2.

And finally, fuel milage: No one buys these things for fuel milage, but in the interest of a complete comparison, this is a tie!!! I've driven both trucks the same, same roads, same route and according to their onboard calcs, they are within .2 tenths of each other with the ZR2 edging out the Rebel. The ONLY way I can explain this is I used midgrade, 87 octane fuel in the Rebel and a combination of 87 and 95 in the ZR2. I've used Shell fuel in both every fillup.

Well, there it is for what it's worth.

I had a 2020 Rebel that i loved but traded in on my ZR2. Below is copied from one of my last post over on 5th Gen Rams forum. It's my comparison between the two trucks after owning the ZR2 for a month.....

For anyone interested, here is my (almost) one month comparison between my ZR2 and my Rebel:

Ride: my Rebel had coils and the ZR2 has leaf springs with Multimatic DSSV shocks. It's REALLY close but I'd have to give it to Ram on pavement and ZR2 off road.

Comfort: it's a tie. The seats in the Ram are more comfortable but the overall experience in the ZR2 is nicer. PLUS ITS GOT A DEAD PEDAL!!!!

Off road capability: ZR2. It has front and rear lockers, 4 lo and hi and goes like a mountain goat! No comparison!

Interior storage: Rebel by far! The ZR2 has very little interior storage in the console and no floor buckets.

Engine / Transmission: ZR2. 6.2L and 10 speed transmission with no throttle lag!

Infotainment: Ram, but a tie between my Rebel and ZR2. If my Rebel had one of the upper level stereos I'd have to give this one to Ram. The Bose stereo is pretty anemic. Plus, GM is pretty effed in the head by installing commands on the truck that you can only use if you purchase their OnStar system with WIFI or teather to your phones WIFI hotspot. You can't even change the temperature or fan speed on the HVAC by voice without OnStar or tethering. Crazy!

Exterior Design: Completely subjective but I'm giving this one the the ZR2. When I bought my Rebel, it was a specialized trim level with its own hood and shared wheels and lift with the off road package. Now, you just about have to look at the trim badge or front bumper to see what kind of Ram you're looking at. A lot of the Rams now look a lot alike.

Price: A Rebel GT cost the same as a ZR2.

And finally, fuel milage: No one buys these things for fuel milage, but in the interest of a complete comparison, this is a tie!!! I've driven both trucks the same, same roads, same route and according to their onboard calcs, they are within .2 tenths of each other with the ZR2 edging out the Rebel. The ONLY way I can explain this is I used midgrade, 87 octane fuel in the Rebel and a combination of 87 and 95 in the ZR2. I've used Shell fuel in both every fillup.

Well, there it is for what it's worth.
Wow. Thanks man! That's a solid comparison that I can relate to.

I think one of my biggest obstacles for the Ram is the SO Hurricane engine. From what I could find, the Hurricane has not been a bad engine in the Wagoneers (they have had faulty thermostats that wrecked some engines, but no major problems from the engine itself-that I could find). But that they didn't keep the Hemi at least as an option (like Ford) just seems silly.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the info. Cheers!!

Wow. Thanks man! That's a solid comparison that I can relate to.

I think one of my biggest obstacles for the Ram is the SO Hurricane engine. From what I could find, the Hurricane has not been a bad engine in the Wagoneers (they have had faulty thermostats that wrecked some engines, but no major problems from the engine itself-that I could find). But that they didn't keep the Hemi at least as an option (like Ford) just seems silly.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the info. Cheers!!

You are more than welcome!

Reactions: AXE
If I was to trade again I'd definitely go back to Ram. The new RHO looks pretty dang sweet. I'd have to give it a year or so for them to hopefully work out the bugs on the HO Hurricane. It's a dang shame they did away with the 5.7 Hemi. I guess we can thank our government for that. I swear, the government can be as useless as tits on Bigfoot!

There are $7-8k+ discounts being offered now. Don't buy one unless it's discounted heavily. These trucks are worth about $55k. So if you can get one for $65k, you'll be in better shape when you try to sell it in a few years for $40k.
hey gloomy Gus 🤌🤌

Most Member Reactions

Back