Cab Mount Chop

ZR2EDDYB

Reaction score
In my quest to fit 35s, metal work was required. I did not want a fit that rubbed occasionally at certain angles. 35s were added for offroad functionality and I did not want to compromise with body or frame rubbing.

I utilized cutting wheels, plasma torch, and a welder to achieve a clearance that now allows full travel of the front tires. My recommendation is to use the cutting wheel on the cab mount as I found the wax frame coating is flammable during welding. Literal boiling wax covering with flames.

I used 1/8” mild steel as my add on piece which is difficult to bend so I suggest straight cuts. The most time consuming part is grinding the donor piece to fit inside of the cut to achieve as much cut back as possible.

It is also recommended to remove the negative battery terminal before grounding for any welding on the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0145.jpeg
    IMG_0145.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0185.jpeg
    IMG_0185.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 53
In my quest to fit 35s, metal work was required. I did not want a fit that rubbed occasionally at certain angles. 35s were added for offroad functionality and I did not want to compromise with body or frame rubbing.

I utilized cutting wheels, plasma torch, and a welder to achieve a clearance that now allows full travel of the front tires. My recommendation is to use the cutting wheel on the cab mount as I found the wax frame coating is flammable during welding. Literal boiling wax covering with flames.

I used 1/8” mild steel as my add on piece which is difficult to bend so I suggest straight cuts. The most time consuming part is grinding the donor piece to fit inside of the cut to achieve as much cut back as possible.

It is also recommended to remove the negative battery terminal before grounding for any welding on the truck.
Love it! New tires are in my near future.

Why not just use a sledge hammer and bang the $hit out of it? Faster and easier ;)

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back