6.2 Lifter/Engine Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 106 88.3%

• Total voters
If that's the case then ALL GM engines are shit. if people are going to single out the 6.2 as the only one with problems then you have to ask why ? the valve deactivation seems like the most likely cause , and the chip may be the remedy. .

Poor lubrication is the first thing to suspect with trashed rods and mains.
This thread is specific to the 6.2 motor…that’s why it’s focused on the 6.2 problems, can’t say that enough times. Feel free to start a thread specific to the 3.0 diesel problems and I would assume that motor would be the focus in that thread.

This thread is specific to the 6.2 motor…that’s why it’s focused on the 6.2 problems, can’t say that enough times. Feel free to start a thread specific to the 3.0 diesel problems and I would assume that motor would be the focus in that thread.
If all we're going to do is bitch and moan what's the point? just looking for sympathy? I thought looking for a solution or at least understanding the cause might be of interest. my bad.

My pointing out GM sources it's part from the same vendor makes case that if bearings aren't failing at an abnormal rate on other engines then that blows the shitty parts theory. so what's different about the 6.2 vs the other 90 engines GM produces? follow?

I'm saying the chip to cancel the valves and resulting oil pump drop and a higher quality oil may be the best we can do. and maybe it won't help I don't know. I'm going to do what I can since just bitching never gained me much in life.

If all we're going to do is bitch and moan what's the point? just looking for sympathy? I thought looking for a solution or at least understanding the cause might be of interest. my bad.

My pointing out GM sources it's part from the same vendor makes case that if bearings aren't failing at an abnormal rate on other engines then that blows the shitty parts theory. so what's different about the 6.2 vs the other 90 engines GM produces? follow?

I'm saying the chip to cancel the valves and resulting oil pump drop and a higher quality oil may be the best we can do. and maybe it won't help I don't know. I'm going to do what I can since just bitching never gained me much in life.
My point was its not been just the 6.2…plenty of forum threads on the 5.3 as well on non-zr2 forums with a quick search. This is a few years old but shows an example that they’ve had an ongoing problem across their v8 lineup…

To your point, some of these catastrophic failures aren’t lifter related….and I agree, I think they've had more than one issue. The recent announcement on some ‘23 models getting new engines outlines a specific problem with just those specific motors.

I think we do agree, it appears to be various things causing these noteworthy failures (not necessarily noteworthy in overall numbers but when failures do happen they are noteworthy to that owner). I think people are bitching because they are frustrated without true recourse to prevent the problem and if it happens to them, they have invested a lot of coin in a truck that they won’t have for a decent amount of time, will have had pretty major motor work done (or a new engine swapped into the drivetrain) and some feel GM should have had these problems vetted out some time ago.

You are 100% correct, bitching still doesn’t solve the problems at hand. I hope a certain oil and the chip (if / when it comes out) truly proves to be the solution.

If that's the case then ALL GM engines are shit. if people are going to single out the 6.2 as the only one with problems then you have to ask why ? the valve deactivation seems like the most likely cause , and the chip may be the remedy. .

Poor lubrication is the first thing to suspect with trashed rods and mains.
I've done hundreds of thousands of miles on AFM and DFM starting in 2014. Never a problem. They shouldn't miss a beat in 150k miles.

You think you're searching for the purity of the problem, but GM already knows the problem and clearly has not implemented a solution' because cause we're 5 years into it. When these motors are replaced they go back to GM for tear down and inspection (at least some of them). The ones repaired at the dealer likely get detailed notes back to GM engineers. How about GM just tells us why they are unreliable and we'll adjust accordingly. Probably cause it's not good for business.

Nor have they offered any clear remedy, it's just the flavor of the day for a given owner, which is less than impressive.

You might call it bitching, others may say it's just calling a spade a spade!

Last edited:
Very rarely does any manufacture truly not know the root problem. In the end, its a money math problem derived by lawyers and finance officers.

“cost of fix” + “possibility of death“ + “number of impacted” + “”probability of fault under normal use so we can say its outside of warranty“+ “when is the next refresh of the problem part“ = “fk it, give the people a blanket answer and chase the tail fixes” because we hold all the power and in the end consumers will still buy.

Not that I’m bitter about what all auto makers do lol

Very rarely does any manufacture truly not know the root problem. In the end, its a money math problem derived by lawyers and finance officers.

“cost of fix” + “possibility of death“ + “number of impacted” + “”probability of fault under normal use so we can say its outside of warranty“+ “when is the next refresh of the problem part“ = “fk it, give the people a blanket answer and chase the tail fixes” because we hold all the power and in the end consumers will still buy.

Not that I’m bitter about what all auto makers do lol
That's exactly it. They already know the problem and the possible fix. It's a numbers game of cost. If they know the vast majority will fail outside of warranty. It's cheaper to let it ride.

it's illogical to think Gm wouldn't spend a few dollars to fix this if it were that simple. they're spending more fixing them that the fix would cost if they had one. and I'm sure the problem isn't nearly as bad as you'd believe on the internet, actually I know it's not. so there's that.

The far better oil already exists, the higher zinc and phosphorus levels are what made flat tappets last, and they'll help on questionable rollers too. so that's a no brainer if you plan on keeping the rig past warranty. the chip will be out soon and I hope that fixes the rest of the problems . and if not at least I did what I could.

As I've said before the ZR2 fill a niche no other manufacturer can, and that's why I bought it. and I'd do it again. it's the only GM product I'd buy because of the problems GM has across the entire lineup and their history of failing to address them. everyone knows this so it's hard to expect a lot of sympathy.

it's illogical to think Gm wouldn't spend a few dollars to fix this if it were that simple. they're spending more fixing them that the fix would cost if they had one. and I'm sure the problem isn't nearly as bad as you'd believe on the internet, actually I know it's not. so there's that.

The far better oil already exists, the higher zinc and phosphorus levels are what made flat tappets last, and they'll help on questionable rollers too. so that's a no brainer if you plan on keeping the rig past warranty. the chip will be out soon and I hope that fixes the rest of the problems . and if not at least I did what I could.

As I've said before the ZR2 fill a niche no other manufacturer can, and that's why I bought it. and I'd do it again. it's the only GM product I'd buy because of the problems GM has across the entire lineup and their history of failing to address them. everyone knows this so it's hard to expect a lot of sympathy.
Your assuming the fix is just a few dollars. AFM had known design problems. To the point they lost something like 100 million dollars in a class action lawsuit. GM knew AFM had problems, But it stayed around for a while. They did make improvements to AFM though. DFM was their attempt to resolve the problems with AFM. Obviously DFM also has some problems. Is it just as simple as sourcing better lifters? Or could it be a deeper overall design flaw? They did revise the lifters at least once already, and people are still having failures. Cylinder deactivation is how they deal with emission requirements while keeping V8s. They are basically forced to do it or it costs them money. I'm sure having to deal with X amount of warranty claims is probably cheaper than not meeting emissions. Same reason why dodge dropped the Hemi\Hell cat. They decided it wasn't worth it to keep buying carbon credits to keep it around.

GM announced a while back that they were going to invest something like 900 million into a new V8 small block engine. My guess is they will attempt to fix the DFM problems with that new engine.

I think you're right, the fix for GM may be very expensive , but if we can disable the feature they never wanted to do in the first place the fix may only cost us a couple hundred bucks. and if you really wanted to keep these rigs forever use the chip to lock the oil pump in and throw a set of standard lifters in it. done and done.

I appreciate the fact GM is still offering a real V8 in a half ton. Ram has given up and Ford only offers a play size one in a couple trim levels. so if you want a real V8 and not some POS 6 cylinder GM is your only option. I'll take it.

I think you're right, the fix for GM may be very expensive , but if we can disable the feature they never wanted to do in the first place the fix may only cost us a couple hundred bucks. and if you really wanted to keep these rigs forever use the chip to lock the oil pump in and throw a set of standard lifters in it. done and done.

I appreciate the fact GM is still offering a real V8 in a half ton. Ram has given up and Ford only offers a play size one in a couple trim levels. so if you want a real V8 and not some POS 6 cylinder GM is your only option. I'll take it.
good point.

That new RAM Hurricane inline turbo 6 looks like a REAL nice engine. I hate the Ford Ecoboost.

A 6 is a 6 no matter how much crap you attach to it, it's going to sound like a fart can rice grinder that's just a fact. you can find the spy video of a new RHO with the twin turbo 6 and it sounds just as lame as you'd expect. it's a no go . end of story.

The blown v8 is another matter, the 6.2 in my TRX is in a whole different world than the Gm 6.2. and the fuel economy isn't as bad as you'd expect. they're reliable and last a long time too, they have no lifters deflating so that's probably why.

I just wish I could get my hands on a chip so I can find out if it really will fix or at least reduce the problems with this engine.

A 6 is a 6 no matter how much crap you attach to it, it's going to sound like a fart can rice grinder that's just a fact. you can find the spy video of a new RHO with the twin turbo 6 and it sounds just as lame as you'd expect. it's a no go . end of story.

The blown v8 is another matter, the 6.2 in my TRX is in a whole different world than the Gm 6.2. and the fuel economy isn't as bad as you'd expect. they're reliable and last a long time too, they have no lifters deflating so that's probably why.

I just wish I could get my hands on a chip so I can find out if it really will fix or at least reduce the problems with this engine.
good info..gotta wait for Range or buy a conversion kit from scoggins.

Most Member Reactions

Back