2500HD ZR2 500 Mile Review

Managed to grab some, I can post more tomorrow if anyone needs more details.
That looks great! I like how you set up the interior.

I'm probably gonna have to spend another $5k now.

No way that 37's will work on this truck without major cutting and a lift..... My 35x12.50-18 BFG's almost rub now turned all of the way without even being in travel.
ZR2 HD Bison does have alot more clearance thanks to the bumper. I'll be trying to fit 37 x 13.5 BFG's on Thursday will let you know lol.

Did you have photos of your truck with the 35 KO2's?

ZR2 HD Bison does have alot more clearance thanks to the bumper. I'll be trying to fit 37 x 13.5 BFG's on Thursday will let you know lol.

Did you have photos of your truck with the 35 KO2's?
I do not run KO2's. Therse are BFG HD Terrains 35x12.50-18's.

Do not have any pictures really except when I was put on the tires and this one at the ranch in NM filling up feeders (game camera) a few weeks ago.

I am going to use the ADD bumper. It will be available in about 60 days for the 2500 ZR2. Went and got all of the PN's required from GM to put a AEV on and it would have been about 5k just for all of the parts (35% discount as well and still over 5k) as there is no "assembly" part number for the AEV factory bumper. Was a real PITA to get all of the PN's as we had to use a VIN from a Bison ZR2 to get all of the PN's out of the GM system. Also, for those thinking of this in the GM system there are already two different sets of PN's for the bumpers with just a few differences on the PN's needed. One type version if memory serves for builds before 11-23 and after.

Personally, like the ADD just as much and the issue is not the front but the rear of the fender well on the front that will have the fouling issue.

Attachments

• Sandy Well Feeder 1-31-24.png
    Sandy Well Feeder 1-31-24.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20231202_142622[1].jpg
    20231202_142622[1].jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 126
I tried them.on a previous 2500HD and hated them. They came loose from fender and sagged after very little time. Bushwacker refunded my money including paint costs after I complained.

A few complaints so far.

Looks like some similar infotainment issues. Minor cut outs, first couple hundred miles. Not any since, maybe it won't be as bad.

My trailer wire hookup or brake controller is broken right out of the gate. Constant trailer connected/ disconnected message in DIC. GM quality control sucks!

I don't like these billboard size mirrors. I can't seem to get them adjusted right. Always seems to be missing part of one or two lanes in a blind spot. Damn near got side swiped twice. Once getting on freeway with some ahole going 90 and once in traffic, which was my fault. I'm running the rear view mirror camera to help. That works better in wide open, not as much in traffic.

Didn't like that my Bison wheels wouldn't accommodate 37s. Might get a separate set of wheels and tires, keep the stock 35s for heavy towing.
The mirrors take a little bit getting used to. I've owned a 2019, 2020 and now the 24 HD2500. Guess I'm pretty used to em. At first I had the same issue. Now, I look for the proximity indicator first. Then double check mirrors. All 3 😂😂😂 the 2500 is not a small truck as you know. The 1500s are literally smaller. The only thing I believe that they share is A pillars and roof. The rest is 2500 specific. Man, drove 900 miles yesterday, averages 16.5mpg and comfortable as hell.

The Bison package is worth the money if you like the bumper, skids, and wheels. Everthing else is just cheap branding. You may not like the $9k price, but there ain't no way you're getting that much hardware for nothing. Materials, labor, shipping, install, marketing, they ain't making a huge profit.

I like the wheels and center caps are solid. Skids are built very well and look very high quality. I like the bumpers visually from 10 feet away and the steel and tow hooks are high quality.

The problem I have with the bumpers is there's way too much plastic and the fitment/ seams are not great. There's 12 pieces of plastic on front bumper and 10 on the rear. They are gonna look like hell in a couple years.

The other problem with the front bumper is the fog lights are not great. My 22 1500 ZR2 has better stock fogs.
The other thing I hate is the cheap ass vinyl Bison stickers on rear quarter panels. Looks chintzy as hell.
I couldn't pull the trigger on the Bison package. Just couldn't see it. I ordered mine specifically from Chevrolet. A dealer stock Bison came in with it. Same color. They sat side by side and I was a bit jealous. I'm a cheapskate so there is that. 😂😂

The mirrors take a little bit getting used to. I've owned a 2019, 2020 and now the 24 HD2500. Guess I'm pretty used to em. At first I had the same issue. Now, I look for the proximity indicator first. Then double check mirrors. All 3 😂😂😂 the 2500 is not a small truck as you know. The 1500s are literally smaller. The only thing I believe that they share is A pillars and roof. The rest is 2500 specific. Man, drove 900 miles yesterday, averages 16.5mpg and comfortable as hell.
I've driven nothing but 2500s for 2 decades both Rams and Chevys. These mirrors still suck after 10 months. They are not optically correct. I always oversteer when backing these shit boxes. I had my 1500 hooked up to utility trailer to load some carpet today. Backing up to my gate I felt drunk, so I went in and had a couple shots of Crown, then could back straight.

I've only been backing trucks and trailers for 45 years when I was 10. I could close my eyes and guess better than these mirrors.

I couldn't pull the trigger on the Bison package. Just couldn't see it. I ordered mine specifically from Chevrolet. A dealer stock Bison came in with it. Same color. They sat side by side and I was a bit jealous. I'm a cheapskate so there is that. 😂😂
I only bought it cause I decided it might be my last big truck before I go full grandpa rig. I sat the transmission skid on a rock 25 minutes after I left the dealer lot still had the sticker in the window. Probably won't see another.

Attachments

• 20231028_162129.jpg
    20231028_162129.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231028_160953.jpg
    20231028_160953.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 28
I only bought it cause I decided it might be my last big truck before I go full grandpa rig. I sat the transmission skid on a rock 25 minutes after I left the dealer lot still had the sticker in the window. Probably won't see another.
I would next hate on the Bison. It is bad ass. You are far braver than me. I wait for a scratch or 2 before I'm hanging out in the rocks. 😂😂 Lot of pasture out here that's slicker than owl shit. A proper set up 2wd will go most places a 4wd will if you know how to drive. Except in these pastures.

I would next hate on the Bison. It is bad ass. You are far braver than me. I wait for a scratch or 2 before I'm hanging out in the rocks. 😂😂 Lot of pasture out here that's slicker than owl shit. A proper set up 2wd will go most places a 4wd will if you know how to drive. Except in these pastures.
I usually wait a while to give it a work out. My stuff looks pretty clean after 10 years. So far I've had three fuck ups with some cosmetic damage.

I hit a Bobcat bucket last week that my ol man dropped next to my truck. If it hadn't hit the tire on the corner of the bucket when it did, it would have crushed that rear quarter panel.

I might bring it in for some touch up work this winter when I get it back from ND.

I usually wait a while to give it a work out. My stuff looks pretty clean after 10 years. So far I've had three fuck ups with some cosmetic damage.

I hit a Bobcat bucket last week that my ol man dropped next to my truck. If it hadn't hit the tire on the corner of the bucket when it did, it would have crushed that rear quarter panel.

I might bring it in for some touch up work this winter when I get it back from ND.
Yeah, with just under 1500 miles, a thousand of which bringing it home, I'm worried about scratches. I'm a puss. Give it another 5k and it's not so bad. Gotta say, this thing rides like a cadillac and way quieter. Speaking of which, these Goodyear ties are loud af. I'm going back to Cooper for the next set. 12 Ply and quiet as a mouse

Reactions: AXE
Yeah, with just under 1500 miles, a thousand of which bringing it home, I'm worried about scratches. I'm a puss. Give it another 5k and it's not so bad. Gotta say, this thing rides like a cadillac and way quieter. Speaking of which, these Goodyear ties are loud af. I'm going back to Cooper for the next set. 12 Ply and quiet as a mouse
I didn't run my Goodyears on 1500, but I think they are quiet on my 2500HD. I've run mostly Toyo MTs the last 20 years and running some Toyo Trail RTs. For big ass tires with heavy lugs, I think they all sound pretty good.

Last edited:
I didn't run my Goodyears on 1500, but I think they are quiet on my 2500HD. I've run mostly Toyo MTs the last 20 years and running some Toyo Trail RTs. For big ass tires with heavy lugs, I think they all sound pretty good.
Agreed on the 2500HD tires! This truck is quieter than all my others - Camaro SS (tire/road noise), Explorer ST (rattles & road noise) and Xterra (bfg mud terrains so hums loudly).

They are also much quieter than the Duratrac’s that came on my 1500 AT4.

Most Member Reactions

Back