25 ZR2 vs Trail Boss HD Comparo

Trailboss is just a cosmetic package to make a LT Z71 look like a ZR2 on the outside. I think it's pretty lame actually. It makes ZR2s stand out less. TB has No lift, 20" wheels. Exact same drive train that's in any other HD trim, but the one it's trying to look like. It would have made more sense if they gave it a lift, taller tires. I don't know something that makes it more of a "Trailboss"

To be fair, the TB does have a factory 2 inch lift.

I think it's a nice looking truck package. If you look at the comments in the video, there are people that want to get one and do a lift. Some feel it woukd be a better value with a 4 inch lift and they like the 20 inch wheels. I think the biggest differtiator is you can get a 3500.

I think it's a nice looking truck package. If you look at the comments in the video, there are people that want to get one and do a lift. Some feel it woukd be a better value with a 4 inch lift and they like the 20 inch wheels. I think the biggest differtiator is you can get a 3500.

Well I would hope so. It looks just like a ZR2, lol. I mean I get it, people want a truck that looks like a ZR2, but they want higher towing capacity. Trailboss part is just odd to me. You get a FX4 package on a Ford or a Dodge Rebel. It actually adds some offroad bits. Trailboss badge usually gets a lift and different shocks atleast. It just seems like a Z71 with a TB sticker.

Well I would hope so. It looks just like a ZR2, lol. I mean I get it, people want a truck that looks like a ZR2, but they want higher towing capacity. Trailboss part is just odd to me. You get a FX4 package on a Ford or a Dodge Rebel. It actually adds some offroad bits. Trailboss badge usually gets a lift and different shocks atleast. It just seems like a Z71 with a TB sticker.
Same with a ZR2, its just an LTZ with some suspension bits, it's not as nice as a high country interior, but you pay more for piss yellow stitching.

Same with a ZR2, its just an LTZ with some suspension bits, it's not as nice as a high country interior, but you pay more for piss yellow stitching.

Not really. Larger tires, locking diff, DSSV shocks, lift, different interior, HUD, camera mirror. It is actually different. I ended up with my 1500 ZR2 because compared to a GMC if you wanted a chevy without wood grain interior and you wanted a HUD and camera mirror. Literally ZR2 was the only trim that was possible. Not to mention unlike Ford where you can add a locking diff to a few different trims, you have to get a ZR2.

I mean a silverado is a silverado. But normally trim to trim, there is differences. Usually certain things are only available on certain trims. Auto 4wd for example is another that varies

Not really. Larger tires, locking diff, DSSV shocks, lift, different interior, HUD, camera mirror. It is actually different. I ended up with my 1500 ZR2 because compared to a GMC if you wanted a chevy without wood grain interior and you wanted a HUD and camera mirror. Literally ZR2 was the only trim that was possible. Not to mention unlike Ford where you can add a locking diff to a few different trims, you have to get a ZR2.

I mean a silverado is a silverado. But normally trim to trim, there is differences. Usually certain things are only available on certain trims. Auto 4wd for example is another that varies
LTZ plus had everything a ZR2 does, except the ugly ZR2 interior and lockers.

LTZ plus had everything a ZR2 does, except the ugly ZR2 interior and lockers.

Well and tires, lift and Suspension.
Lol, it's strange someone with two of them, doesn't seem to like ZR2s much. Why on earth would you keep buying them if you don't even like the interior?

Well and tires, lift and Suspension.
Lol, it's strange someone with two of them, doesn't seem to like ZR2s much. Why on earth would you keep buying them if you don't even like the interior?
Suspension isn't much of a differentiator and wheels sure as hell aren't. In fact, for the same or less money you get to choose the customizing. You can put nice suspension on anything. Guys have put King kits on their ZR2s.

You could make that 2500HD TB a legit ZR2 competitor and have a 1T rig for $8k. Very few people will ever use that locker on a 2500HD ZR2.

l own em cause I damn well choose to for 40 years. I'll probably own some more of these half baked turds if that's what they keep selling. I'll maybe getting a 26 1500 if they put on a lift, wide body kit, and 35s like the Colorado ZR2 Bison. I'll be offering up some opinions on their shortcomings too.

Last edited:
Wish hot pink stitching was an option. The pee yellow is not doing it for me
I did my 1500 in red, it looks pretty nice. One thing I've noticed is that the thread on the door panels must be waxed to protect it. It will take color, but it seems to rub off. Drivers side starts looking orangish and needs a touch up.

I think when I get my 2500 back down south, I might make mine dark gray.

What actually drew me to the High Country Midnight Edition this go around was the beautiful interior. Personally, I never liked the gray interior in my ZR2. I wish they gave you a choice of at least one other color.
I personally wish they had a tan interior, which I like in my previous black trucks. Very easy to keep clean and never looks dusty. I've got black staining on my seats in both 1500 and 2500 at 11k miles and 6k miles. I keep my shit very clean, but the gray looks dirty already. Dash feels like plastic and I've now got spots on mine that won't come off. Lol like water spots, but have no idea where they came from.

Poor quality materials are a GM Hallmark the last few years. But some cheap interior materials go away on the High Country.

Last edited:
I did my 1500 in red, it looks pretty nice. One thing I've noticed is that the thread on the door panels must be waxed to protect it. It will take color, but it seems to rub off. Drivers side starts looking orangish and needs a touch up.

I think when I get my 2500 back down south, I might make mine dark gray.
I've had the marker since you did yours but haven't done it. Guess I should play Bob Ross this weekend

Reactions: AXE
I've had the marker since you did yours but haven't done it. Guess I should play Bob Ross this weekend
If you wanna make it easy, do the headrests first. They are easy to pull off and a good way to practice the technique. Also, the thread takes color the best and residual material on the headrests is easy to wipe clean. Seats and dash take color pretty good and wipe clean, not quite as easily. Door panels are PIA, I wonder if they should be cleaned with alcohol first?

It'll look good with the moar betterer white truck.

If you wanna make it easy, do the headrests first. They are easy to pull off and a good way to practice the technique. Also, the thread takes color the best and residual material on the headrests is easy to wipe clean. Seats and dash take color pretty good and wipe clean, not quite as easily. Door panels are PIA, I wonder if they should be cleaned with alcohol first?

It'll look good with the moar betterer white truck.
Ok. I've added it to my Sunday itinerary right before I watch the Broncos get their assessments handed to them.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back