Thinking of purchasing this Black ZR2

Lakebuster

Reaction score
Went to dealer to purchase this ZR2, I did not pull the trigger as it did not have the mule-plex tailgate. At 60 Y/0 accessing bed is my major concern. My wife works for GM so the price was right but know going the route of ordering the same truck with the multiple-plex tailgate. My biggest problem is waiting, has anyone else added some type of step up. This truck has the factory soft bed cover and just can't grab the hand holds!
I am looking at options and thank goodness I built my Home when I had a F-450 dually and made the garage 28' deep.

Attachments

• IMG_5584.jpeg
    IMG_5584.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5580.jpeg
    IMG_5580.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 38
I would hold out for the muli-flex tailgate. My truck has it and i love it. I thought I'd never use it but it's honestly one of my favorite features now. I use the step as a step more than anything but when doing field visits, I use the step part as a desk when the tailgate is up.

Went to dealer to purchase this ZR2, I did not pull the trigger as it did not have the mule-plex tailgate. At 60 Y/0 accessing bed is my major concern. My wife works for GM so the price was right but know going the route of ordering the same truck with the multiple-plex tailgate. My biggest problem is waiting, has anyone else added some type of step up. This truck has the factory soft bed cover and just can't grab the hand holds!
I am looking at options and thank goodness I built my Home when I had a F-450 dually and made the garage 28' deep.
The multi flex tailgate is pretty awesome in terms of function. The step up is pretty nice, I don't use the grab handle but it would make it easy.

The only drawback is that the tailgate does collect a lot of dust so it's a PIA to care for and clean. Dirt leaks out some after a wash, so need to do a separate rinse occasionally or it'll get messy.

I would go into GMs inventory system and find the truck you want and negotiate from there when you find one close enough.

Last edited:
I’m 58 and have the standard tailgate and the step in the bumper works fine for me getting into the bed. Never had the multiflex so can’t miss what you don’t have maybe 🤔. I didn’t want to deal with another things that could cause me issues.

If you got full length "nerf bar style" running boards, you can step on it, step on rear tire and swing your leg and right over the rail you go. If you ride motorcycles or horses, it's natural. If you wear a skirt, then that's your problem.

#yeehaw

I’m 58 and have the standard tailgate and the step in the bumper works fine for me getting into the bed. Never had the multiflex so can’t miss what you don’t have maybe 🤔. I didn’t want to deal with another things that could cause me issues.
Well I do have a 2 step and a 3 step small aluminum ladder I could carry in the bed. I am 6' tall and this truck is taller than my tremor was!

If you got full length "nerf bar style" running boards, you can step on it, step on rear tire and swing your leg and right over the rail you go. If you ride motorcycles or horses, it's natural. If you wear a skirt, then that's your problem.

#yeehaw
Real funny, not swinging leg over with a bed cover on though. Skirt of no Skirt!

as others have said, wait for what you want.

I thought I wanted the multi gate, but I'm glad I didn't. because I know for a fact I would throw that thing down and smash it into my adjustable receiver. seen some pretty impressive damage people have done to their tailgates.

If you are going to spend the money for one of these trucks you should get it exactly the way you want.

I have the flex tailgate because it's part of the Bison package. I love the looks of it with the black out but honestly I don't use it much and if I didn't have it I wouldn't miss it.

I'm not sure why people need to reach the front of the bed that often. it's not even 6' long you can reach over half way , so set stuff to the rear and you don't have to get to the front.

I have the flex tailgate because it's part of the Bison package. I love the looks of it with the black out but honestly I don't use it much and if I didn't have it I wouldn't miss it.

I'm not sure why people need to reach the front of the bed that often. it's not even 6' long you can reach over half way , so set stuff to the rear and you don't have to get to the front.
It's an HD and you aint reaching over the side or through the back.

I've been up in both mine plenty. I also have a cargo grab stick for long reaches, a ratcheting cargo bar to keep things in place, and a custom Milwaukee packout system installed right behind the tailgate for tools and gear.

Also as the name implies, it is also used for cargo transport and as a work surface.

Last edited:
Being an HD does make a difference. but unless you work for Willy Wanka you should be tall enough to reach 90% of what you'd have in the bed from the back.

I didn't say they're an awful option, I just can live without it.

Wait for the multiflex tailgate, you won’t be disappointed. Have you thought about doing a search for a truck the way you want and renting a car or flying. It can be a lot of fun doing a road trip in a ZR2.
So long as the dealer you're buying from is reputable (unlike my experience 🤬).

Being an HD does make a difference. but unless you work for Willy Wanka you should be tall enough to reach 90% of what you'd have in the bed from the back.

Someone would have to have arms like an orangutan to be able reach 90% of the bed area.

Well not really maybe 30%!!! I do not like the multi-flex tailgate had it on my 2020 hd. I am no spring chicken and one of my game cameras caught me on Saturday at the ranch in NM filling game feeders. No big deal.

1727816267166.png

Most Member Reactions

Back