Standard ZR2 vs Bison

bobo57

Reaction score
General question: I know this is very subjective but can the crew here weigh in on Standard ZR2 vs the Bison Edition? Any thoughts, impressions, experiences would be helpful.

Well for me it a simple answer..
If you go off trail in rough rocky terrain then the Bison is for you . But if you just traverse roads then the stock ZR2 will save you 8k plus.
That in my opinion is money spent elsewhere!

I've had one of each and behind the wheel it doesn't make a shit bit of difference in terms of driveability or capability.

If you're not gonna offroad hard, the Bison package only gives you the added benefit of a different looking truck.

Some people don't think the Bison package is "worth it". I can tell you after digging into the Bison bits some, they are built well and heavy duty. You ain't buying that much gear for much less than $9k installed.

My only complaint on the Bison package is that the bumpers have a lot of plastic fascia to cover up the seams and bolts. I worry that it won't look good after a few years. Also the light cutouts don't fit alot of standard light pods cleanly. I made my own bezels to make install clean.

Last edited:
Do you like the look of the bison bumpers and wheels? And do you like them enough to pay that much extra for them? While neither version of the zr2 is the best deal for a built silverado, they do have lockers and unique looks. You can pick any model to start from and add all of the parts that you find useful from AEV, GM, or aftermarket.

Last edited:
Do you like the look of the bison bumpers and wheels? And do you like them enough to pay that much extra for them? While neither version of the zr2 is the best deal for a built silverado, they do have lockers and unique looks. You can pick any model to start from and add all of the parts that you find useful from AEV, GM, or aftermarket.
Smart man!

1000039686.jpg

I bought the bison for one simple reason, I wanted it. of course it's overpriced , so is the ZR2 package so why get practical at this point.

Look at it this way, if you want the items in the package buy it, because when you sell it the package adds value. if you bolt a bunch of Ronco aftermarket junk on it at best it doesn't decrease the value. so how much did you save.

I bought the bison for one simple reason, I wanted it. of course it's overpriced , so is the ZR2 package so why get practical at this point.

Look at it this way, if you want the items in the package buy it, because when you sell it the package adds value. if you bolt a bunch of Ronco aftermarket junk on it at best it doesn't decrease the value. so how much did you save.
Great point! The AEV gear on the BISON will add value towards a sale or trade. You could put $5K worth of aftermarket on and you will get ZERO for it at the dealer. If you buy a non-BISON and install the AEV gear after the fact, it will also be worth ZERO unless you do a Private Sale and those items have value to the person buying it. Dealers go by book on the VIN and the factory options included, not the add ons you do afterwards.

Great question. Look at it from these 3 factors:
1. Affordability- Does the $8k put too much of a dent in your wallet that could be better utilized, like for gas money? :ROFLMAO:
2. Application- What are you using it for? Rock climbing or are you like us and like the look of it to drive around town, load kayaks and look cool? :cool:
3. Resell Value- Being in the car industry for a long time, we buy the top of the range in every vehicle that we've owned. The units are supply/demand driven and if you're going to trade it, buy the Bison. We owned 3 Midnight Editions, 2015, 2017 and 2018- all LTZ and 2 with roofs. Being in a better negotiating position when you're trading is a ton easier and you can literally tell the sales desk- "Here I've done the work for you. There are "X" number of similar units available within "X" miles and mine is better because of "XYZ", so sharpen your pencil and let's talk price."

We bought some Rough Country boards and took the rock rails off and they're in the garage against the wall under a tarp. When we trade, they're an asset because they won't have a blemish on them and our boards are a bonus.

Yeah, I know it's subjective but for me I like the aesthetics of the Bison equipment are better than the base ZR2. Your pricing logic is the same as mine. I wouldn't be bolting anything else if I bought the standard. Just drive it. I have a Jeep if I really want to go deep offroad. Just some trails with this one.

Most Member Reactions

Back