Shafted on the trail (did it to my self)

ZR2BIZON

Reaction score
Ladies and Germs,

I ran Red Elephant Hill this weekend from begging to end. Yee 'ol noble steed is mostly stock with a few cosmetic enhancements along with the only whimpy winch available for thy steed.
The trail is rated difficult on T-OR so I knew to pack an extra Avocado toast for snacking purposes.

There is 3 rock gardens that are mandatory and have no bypass. You either went through the rocks or through the rocks. The second set is where I think I was shafted. I tried 4 different lines but could just not get the ass end of thy steed over ( she got'a fatty) so I winched to just get over the rock. Upon my heroing act of greatness I felt and heard some scraping but nothing abnormal from other difficult trails I've done. I checked real quick on the driver side just to make sure the guts where still there and everything checked out.

Note: truck was still angled on a rock.

Ran the rest of the trail and had no problems at all on the next Rock Garden.

At the end of the trail I only aired up to 30 from 15 just to get home. On the way home it felt a bit off with a slight vibration. I figured it was from not airing up all the way or maybe I somehow managed to knock a tire weight off.

Today I washed thy steed down and got under the truck to inspect any damage. Turns out I beat the rock I was stuck on with my drive shaft (take that you stupid Crack Rock).

I ordered another one for $620. While that one arrives I pulled the one off my 2020 HC because #offroadlife is moar important. Fits live a glove.

I'm happy to report the AEV diff cover is the real MVP.

After this experience next upgrade is a lift kit minimum 2" and atleast 35's Along with shock skids.

Thank you to my one Patrion member for the membership subscription while youtube monetizes me. ILY MOM.

I also removed the Spare Shroud and the spare winch. There's so much room under there now.

1000037978.jpg

1000037983.jpg

You should put that old shaft back on and trade it for a Colorado Bison. It's the superior offroad rig. It comes with 35s and it would be very nimble in those gnarly trails you're running.

I can pick this one up for you, it's just down the street from me. It's the moar better white Bizon, just like Uncle Ted sang about! #greatwhitebuffalo

Click on this link and click the blue box again.

Last edited:
Hey, @ZR2BIZON , by any chance do you have pictures of Fuel Tank skid plate setup (4 vertical supports connecting to chassis and skid) of your truck.

The documentation from AEV sucks and is sketchy with no real pictures.

I have 2022 model and chassis doesn't have all the pre drilled holes.

Differential skid was quick and easy.
1000052904.jpg

Ouch, at least it was just a drive shaft. Kind of why I just wheel side by sides. Smooth flat bottoms. With the entire underbody covered with a thick skid. My ZR2 see's the occasional field or dirt road. Mostly though, it's just to get my toys to the trail head or the boat to the ramp, tractor to the field, ect, lol.

I agree with Axe though. I think the Colorado is the ticket for hard wheeling in the ZR2 line up. Smaller, shorter wheel base and more clearance. The 1500s should have came geared and setup for 35s from the factory. Bison Colorado has factory 35s, The HDs come with 35s and can fit 37" with out doing anything.

Hey, @ZR2BIZON , by any chance do you have pictures of Fuel Tank skid plate setup (4 vertical supports connecting to chassis and skid) of your truck.

View attachment 14443
I don't but I can snap some for you!

You should put that old shaft back on and trade it for a Colorado Bison. It's the superior offroad rig. It comes with 35s and it would be very nimble in those gnarly trails you're running.

I can pick this one up for you, it's just down the street from me. It's the moar better white Bizon, just like Uncle Ted sang about! #greatwhitebuffalo

Click on this link and click the blue box again.

I want one of those too!

Ouch, at least it was just a drive shaft. Kind of why I just wheel side by sides. Smooth flat bottoms. With the entire underbody covered with a thick skid. My ZR2 see's the occasional field or dirt road. Mostly though, it's just to get my toys to the trail head or the boat to the ramp, tractor to the field, ect, lol.

I agree with Axe though. I think the Colorado is the ticket for hard wheeling in the ZR2 line up. Smaller, shorter wheel base and more clearance. The 1500s should have came geared and setup for 35s from the factory. Bison Colorado has factory 35s, The HDs come with 35s and can fit 37" with out doing anything.
The 1500 is a very capable truck and I've done quite well on trails I wasn't supposed to be on but I agree it should have came set up for and with 35's.

A Colorado Bison is on the list of purchases.

Hey, @ZR2BIZON, by any chance do you have pictures of Fuel Tank skid plate setup (4 vertical supports connecting to chassis and skid) of your truck.

View attachment 14443

1000038004.jpg
1000038006.jpg
1000038003.jpg
1000038005.jpg

Does this help?

Attachments

• 1000038008.jpg
    1000038008.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 7

Most Member Reactions