Random loss of radio, audio, controls

BowTieGuy

Reaction score
It’s been over a month (knock on wood) but at random times the infotainment system goes out, no controls including steering column functions for the radio and phone. I took it into the dealer the last time it was actually happening and the service manager said they have no bulletins on this. It does seem to reset once it’s turned completely off, the driver door opened and closed, the shut down cycle is totally complete. Anyone else having this issue?

I think a number of us have seen it a time or 2, complex systems and software will do this type of thing sometimes on the way to maturity, what would really help is figuring what sequence of events produces the issue, then they would be able to chase it down, until then try to go into park and press and hold the hang up call button on the steering wheel to reset the infotainment system to see if that fixes it.

I think a number of us have seen it a time or 2, complex systems and software will do this type of thing sometimes on the way to maturity, what would really help is figuring what sequence of events produces the issue, then they would be able to chase it down, until then try to go into park and press and hold the hang up call button on the steering wheel to reset the infotainment system to see if that fixes it.
Will try, thanks!

It’s been over a month (knock on wood) but at random times the infotainment system goes out, no controls including steering column functions for the radio and phone. I took it into the dealer the last time it was actually happening and the service manager said they have no bulletins on this. It does seem to reset once it’s turned completely off, the driver door opened and closed, the shut down cycle is totally complete. Anyone else having this issue?
i had typical infotain drop issues with added inop steering wheel controls not working. fixed with update at dealer.

I found a solution that worked for me. I have a 23’ ZR2 and was having the same issues. Volume would constantly get quiet for an about 15 seconds and then go loud again for about 45 seconds, then start the process over again. This would happen every time my phone was connected to CarPlay, wired or wireless, and it didn’t matter what I was listening to (radio, Spotify app, xm, CarPlay, etc.).
I tried the reset with the end call button, and that would temporarily fix the problem but it would come back again. I took it to the dealer and they did a usb update on the radio, and this still didn’t work. What I discovered by dumb luck is that when my phone is on vibrate, this doesn’t happen at all. I can listen to anything I want while connected to CarPlay, and as long as I kept my phone on vibrate, I no longer had any issues with the volume going through cycles of quiet and loud. But the second I take it off of vibrate, it starts up again. Not sure if this will work for everyone, but it works for me and will be my solution until GM fixes the actual problem. Hope this helps!

I had the same issue multiple times over the first 7 months I've owned my Bison. The dealer did a firmware update the first time which did not resolve the issue. I finally had to get GM directly involved and after about a month of back and forth emails and dealer follow ups GM replace the infotainment system as a warranty issue. Its been about 2 months and so far no issues.

I found a solution that worked for me. I have a 23’ ZR2 and was having the same issues. Volume would constantly get quiet for an about 15 seconds and then go loud again for about 45 seconds, then start the process over again. This would happen every time my phone was connected to CarPlay, wired or wireless, and it didn’t matter what I was listening to (radio, Spotify app, xm, CarPlay, etc.).
I tried the reset with the end call button, and that would temporarily fix the problem but it would come back again. I took it to the dealer and they did a usb update on the radio, and this still didn’t work. What I discovered by dumb luck is that when my phone is on vibrate, this doesn’t happen at all. I can listen to anything I want while connected to CarPlay, and as long as I kept my phone on vibrate, I no longer had any issues with the volume going through cycles of quiet and loud. But the second I take it off of vibrate, it starts up again. Not sure if this will work for everyone, but it works for me and will be my solution until GM fixes the actual problem. Hope this helps!
i had it with steering controls inop, chan and volume.

Most Member Reactions

Back