No trailer lights with 4 pin connection

Leon L

Reaction score
I have a 24 hd that has no issues, other than the known trailer brake, when pulling my camping trailer, 7-pin. But when I recently tried to connect a 4-pin utility trailer, using a 7 to 4 pin adapter, I am not getting any lights to work. I checked the wires on the adapter to a diagram and they look correct. The fuses also look okay as well. Any one else have this issue and how did you fix it?

I have a 24 hd that has no issues, other than the known trailer brake, when pulling my camping trailer, 7-pin. But when I recently tried to connect a 4-pin utility trailer, using a 7 to 4 pin adapter, I am not getting any lights to work. I checked the wires on the adapter to a diagram and they look correct. The fuses also look okay as well. Any one else have this issue and how did you fix it?
It's random, my functions work on the trailer, but DIC sometimes says otherwise. Dealer said it checked out on their trailer simulator, so there isn't a fix. I'm going to ask for a software update to BCM.

Seems to work fine on trailers without brakes. I pulled a large flatbed the other day and that was the first big trailer with brakes that never threw a message in the DIC. I've towed 7 different trailers and 3 have thrown codes, 3 had surge brakes or no brakes.

Good luck!

Last edited:
It's random, my functions work on the trailer, but DIC sometimes says otherwise. Dealer said it checked out on their trailer simulator, so there isn't a fix. I'm going to ask for a software update to BCM.

Seems to work fine on trailers without brakes. I pulled a large flatbed the other day and that was the first big trailer with brakes that never threw a message in the DIC. I've towed 7 different trailers and 3 have thrown codes, 3 had surge brakes or no brakes.

Good luck!
Thanks Axe. After a little research over the weekend, I saw some comments about it might not be getting enough resistance, like LEDs tend to cause. The trailer doesn't have LED's but I am going to try to an adapter that is supposed to address the resistance issue. I'll let you know how that goes.

Most Member Reactions

Back