How Hard Do You Run Your 6.2L?

AlaskaGriz

Reaction score
So I am a motorsport enthusiast. I love the feel of the power/torque in my ZR2. I own a Jeep Wrangler 392 that is faster than this truck so I can get plenty of smiles/gallon with it too plus have 1000cc motorcycle as well.

Anyway, I am rolling up on 1000 miles on my newly replaced 6.2L. I haven't pushed it toooooooo hard during break-in but am somewhat gun-shy given that I had to go through an engine replacement already. I don't race around all the time but I certainly don't let regular passenger cars out power me either.

Do you owners run them up through the RPM range often? Want to get over my uneasy feeling about this 6.2L Engine toughness.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dave

Last edited:
So I am a motorsport enthusiast. I love the feel of the power/torque in my ZR2. I own a Jeep Wrangler 392 that is faster than this truck so I can get plenty of smiles/gallon with it too plus have 1000cc motorcycle as well.

Anyway, I am rolling up on 1000 miles on my newly replaced 6.2L. I haven't pushed it toooooooo hard during break-in but an somewhat gun-shy given that I had to go through an engine replacement already. I don't race around all the time but I certainly don't let regular passenger cars out power me either.

Do you owners run them up through the RPM range often? Want to get over my uneasy feeling about this 6.2L Engine toughness.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dave
Unleash it. It’s going to live or die so just end the suspense.

It's got a rev limiter at 6k. You can run it through the gears just fine between 3000 and 6000 rpm. Also use tow haul mode for a little more juice.
This truck is very sporty.

I can guarantee it runs and handles better than that Wrangler by a good stretch.

Only thing you can do to track engine wear is pull an oil analysis. Do one now and every 5k after and see what it looks like. You'll know if your getting excessive wear.

Most of the lifter problems are caused by when it's dropped the oil pressure and lifters out of the 8 cylinder mode. so babying it is when you're not in v8 mode.

Run it. if it's going to fail it's going to no matter what.

Based on the threads we’re seeing now, seems like lifters are less likely and now it’s bearings getting smoked or some other catastrophic failure….they’ll fail or not regardless of driving style or active fuel management being on or off. As you already found out, you’ve got warranty for a reason.

Grip it and rip it 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

I drive like my body allows me to move...

UFkyG_.gif

I can guarantee it runs and handles better than that Wrangler by a good stretch.
i figured the same until i looked up the 392. 490 hp in the jeep vs. 420 hp in the ZR2 and the jeep is a few hundred lbs lighter.

that many hp in a wrangler is nutz.

I’ve been driving like a shithead since I passed 1600 kilometers (1000 in freedom units). Who knows, it might grenade someday, but I’d rather live with my nuts out than pamper it. I got the loud exhaust for a reason

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpeg
    IMG_0782.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 7
1st Oil Change is next Thursday. Will be about 800 miles on new engine. Then I'm not babying it anymore. Bought the GM Platinum Extended Warranty yesterday.

Dave

Most Member Reactions

Back