Hello, and Amp Research steps ...

JMS

Reaction score
Hi There

Have driven a Silverado LTZ Z71 for 10 years, been considering a ZR2 ever since they came out (almost bought a Colorado ZR2 for my daughter's graduation present in 2019, but she insisted she wanted a Tacoma) Test drove one a few weeks ago, found the equipment I wanted on top of the ZR2 package (6.2, tech package, sunroof. multi-flex tailgate) in stock 100 miles away, made the drive and brought a 2024 home. Extremely happy with everything about it so far, except, perhaps, auto-stop until my muscle memory includes hitting the auto-stop off button right after the start button every time.

So ... my truck was fresh off the transport when I bought it ... filthy (I'm in CA and it went through some weather to get here) and covered in plastic ... AND dealer installed options weren't received yet and still aren't. Said options are the under rear seat organizer, floor mats, tubular rocker protection, and the removable steps that attach to them. Dealer didn't want any of that in their service bay, so all of it is coming my way when it arrives (yes, I dickered down the price beyond the cost of all that).

I had Amp Research power steps on my 2014 almost from day one ... loved them, then a few years later hated them as the first gen controller caused them to have a mind of their own, deploying (or not) when they felt like it. 6 months ago or so I heard of and ordered the new, redesigned controller from Amp Research ... plugged it in and the steps on the 2014 worked flawlessly since. Hope they continue to as I have sold the truck to my father in law.

Today I installed Amp Research power steps on my 2024 ZR2. Hoping the new controller design will be as reliable on my new truck as it was on the old. A couple comments ... install is pretty straightforward, but it is NOT "plug-n-play" as they advertise. Yes, it plugs into the OBDII port, but you must also splice two signal wires into the BCM behind the driver's kick panel. Not a huge deal, and much less intrusive than the install on my 2014, but not "plug-n-play".

Results: working flawlessly, almost invisible when retracted, and a very comfortable step height to get into the "lifted" truck when deployed. One comment for self installers: the pdf instructions for the 2024 says "light gray connector" and "dark gray connector" for the same BCM connection ... it is light gray, the connector furthest rearward.

As an aside, if anyone wants new-in-box Chevrolet rocker guards and steps, I'll have them available once they come in ...

I really like AMP steps. Splicing the wires was a PIA. I posted some pictures in my install thread if anyone needs a reference.

One thing to note is that when you pull the OBD plug it with throw a bunch of network codes. It stores them in the history as inactive error codes. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but when your dealer scans it they will be in your system.

Initially I would have agreed with you on the PIA ... but after a break spent watching the first half of the KC/Baltimore game, I went back out and pulled the two connectors from the BCM easily, which allowed me to connect the Amp wires fairly easily, without laying half in and out of the truck with my spine bent in an S shape.

My advice is to DEFINITELY figure out the locking mechanism on the two BCM plugs so you can pull them, and plug them back in after connecting the Amp wires ... doing it with the BCM plugs in place would have been a HUGE PIA.

So I don't have AMP steps. I considered getting them for the HD just cause my wife and kids complain about the height, lol.

If they tap into to the BCM harness, why do they even connect to the OBD port at all? Seems like all they would need is power and door open/close signal. I'm assuming the BCM connection is the door signal, so is the OBD port just for power? Just seems unnecessary.

Reactions: AXE
I wish that GM offered them as an option on the 1500 ZR2 as they do on the 2500HD. I would have much preferred the retractable steps as my wife is height challenged.

I wish that GM offered them as an option on the 1500 ZR2 as they do on the 2500HD. I would have much preferred the retractable steps as my wife is height challenged.
Show her a HD, lol. My wife couldn't get in the truck the night I brought it home. I put my high clearance steps on it the next morning so she could actually get in the truck. She still struggled. I like the high clearance steps myself, but they are 22.5" high on a stock HD. So not exactly easy for the wife and youngest kid. Basically like trying to skip to the third step on a staircase, haha

I have the high clearance steps on my truck and like them a lot. However, they are still too high for my wife's comfort. No reason for GM not to give the retractable option on the 1500.

Last edited:
Initially I would have agreed with you on the PIA ... but after a break spent watching the first half of the KC/Baltimore game, I went back out and pulled the two connectors from the BCM easily, which allowed me to connect the Amp wires fairly easily, without laying half in and out of the truck with my spine bent in an S shape.

My advice is to DEFINITELY figure out the locking mechanism on the two BCM plugs so you can pull them, and plug them back in after connecting the Amp wires ... doing it with the BCM plugs in place would have been a HUGE PIA.
There's no way to do it without pulling the wire harness from the BCM. Then you have to peel back an inch of wrapping material to expose the wire.

So I don't have AMP steps. I considered getting them for the HD just cause my wife and kids complain about the height, lol.

If they tap into to the BCM harness, why do they even connect to the OBD port at all? Seems like all they would need is power and door open/close signal. I'm assuming the BCM connection is the door signal, so is the OBD port just for power? Just seems unnecessary.
Yes, it is the signal wire. Other kits use magnets on the door and jam to trigger the step to open and close. That requires ring more wires too. Not sure which one is easier, but AMP looks clean.

Most Member Reactions

Back